Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Pilots st. Lawrence sea way

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Rodger, Sep 12, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Pilotage rules nearly sink U.S. Brig Niagara voyage to Montreal

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Here is a perfect example of the government and pilots getting greedy and less yachts will actually go there, and revenue will probably drop, not increase.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

The Government ARE the pilots on the Seaway. We are currently upbound toward Chicago and I would certainly be happier just navigating the Seaway rather than navigating the legalities of it all!
  4. Ken Bracewell

Latest

Since the US Coast Guard gave us a pilotage exemption in US Waters, the Canadians Great Lakes Pilotage Authority has decided to partially follow suit.
    We now only require a pilot from St. Lambert Lock until Snell Lock. After that we need a pilot through the Welland Canal and then are free to go where we like.
    I'll post the rates after I've completed the trip.
  5. Ken Bracewell

D!@Khead Pilot

On another note- we had the rudest and pompous pilot (think stereotypical french dealing with Anglophones) aboard from Quebec to Trois Rivieres yesterday. He started by ordering me to slow down while transiting the Port of Quebec Lock. Mind you, I was running at dead idle with a following wind of 20 kts and a following current of 1kt. When I responded that I would take care of maneuvering the boat, WWIII broke out on the bridge.
    The end result was me telling him to sit his French butt down and keep his mouth shut unless he had a heading change to call to the helmsman.
    Six hours later, he got off and we were boarded by one of the happiest and friendly pilots I've ever met. Redemption for the Quebecois!
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Ken, be sure to wave when you're in Montreal... :D I'll keep an eye open for you guys.
  7. Ken Bracewell

We're docked at the Old Port
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Very cool. The tall ships are there this weekend, are they not?

You guys should have been here last weekend... the weather was about as perfect as you could get for September. Sunny, clear, and warm.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How did he respond to your orders to sit down and shut up? I had to do that once to an owners drunken 28 year old son.
  10. Ken Bracewell

He didn't like it one bit. In fact he refused to sit, so continued to stand for the entire 6 hour passage.
  11. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Sea Way Pilots

A few years ago I was on a 150' Palmer Johnson we departed St. Lambert lock with a harbour pilot going to the marina at the Old Port and when we were approaching the dock the captain had to do the same thing due to the strong current as the pilot did not like the way the captain was making the dock .
    See you when you arrive at the Welland.
    Have a safe trip
    Rodger
  12. Ken Bracewell

Government Extortion

Although this is was what was discussed over the telephone with Captain Daniel Trottier, I am kicking myself because I didn't request that ruling in writing. After making my way all the way to Chicago and then back as far as the Welland Canal, the GPLA put me over a barrel yesterday. They called me (on a weekend, when I had no access to legal advice, none-the-less) and informed me that if I didn't take a pilot all the way from the Welland Canal to Montreal (as opposed to the agreed upon Snell-Montreal section) that I would be in violation of the law. I reminded Captain Trottier of our conversation in September and he gave me some BS about being confused and thinking that RENA was a US flagged vessel, rather than Marshall Islands. I know this is BS because I have copies of every email between us, clearly stating the vessel particulars as well as copies of the licenses of each crew member.

So it goes something like this:
    GPLA: "You'll need to take one of our pilots from Montreal all the way to the Straights of Mackinac". Remember, this is a Canadian government owned AND regulated company- A GOVERNMENT REGULATED MONOPOLY.

ME: "Well, perhaps we may not come to the Great Lakes then."

US Coast Guard: "Since you're a private vessel, you are welcome to cruise in the US Waters of the Great Lakes without a pilot."

ME (to the US Coast Guard): "Great. Thanks very much Captain Eullitt!"

ME (to the Canadian GPLA): "I will take a pilot as far as Alexandria Bay, NY. At that time, I will release the pilot and stay in US Waters until I am at the Welland Canal. I will then take a canal pilot through the Canal before heading back to US waters for the remainder of my trip. I'll do the same on the way home. You know, this is really a shame for all the Canadian business owners who could benefit from the money we would spend along the way."

GPLA: "We have decided that you will only be required to take a pilot as far as Snell Lock. Thereafter you can go where you like, with the exception of the Welland Canal."

ME: "That's great! In that case, I'll spend some time and money in Canada."

That is how it went; the GPLA pilot got off the boat at Snell and wished us well. We then cruised through both countries and really had a great time until Captain Trottier decided that he could change his mind and force us to take a pilot!

I see this as pure extortion! They've essentially duped me into bringing the boat into the Lakes and then forcing me to pay pilotage costs before allowing me to leave (I have it on good authority that if I hadn't taken a pilot, I would have been detained above the locks in the Cornwall District).

Additionally, I am concerned about the reasons for the rule changes and inconsistency. You see, I believe that the GPLA changed the minimum size for mandatory pilotage from 1500 GRT (a small ship) to 35 metres (most yachts) was due to a slow down in shipping as a result of the economy. There is also a great fear (as expressed to me from numerous pilots along the way) that impending NY State ballast water regulations will drastically reduce shipping traffic. I am convinced that the GPLA is scrambling to make up for lost revenues and to justify their own existence.

I would caution anyone considering coming to the Great Lakes to reconsider. You may think of Canada as a pretty civilized country, but this action leaves me feeling like I am dealing with a Banana Republic or Third-World Country.

If you're a Canadian citizen and it burns you that your Government is passing legislation that is driving business away from local economies, I urge you to get in touch with your MP. If you doubt that this is happening, I can promise you that I will not be recommending a trip back to the Great Lakes. While we were in Canada, we spent well over $150,000 on various services and goods.

It may also help to drop an email to dtrottier@glpa-apgl.com
    I will also be happy to share his telephone number via PM.
  13. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Pilots

When you get a chance Ken post the pilot cost for your trip, they will be shocked when they see them.
    Have a safe trip south.
    Rodger
  14. Ken Bracewell

Prior to yesterday's cash grab it was just shy of $30,000USD. I'm not sure what the latest shake-down will be. A colleague on a larger yacht, who was told he required a pilot from Les Escoumins to Port Huron, recently told me that his pilotage for the upbound leg was roughly $33,000!!
  15. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Pilotage, US not much different

Ken, the US is no better, I went to Alaska from BC 4yrs ago, contacted Alaska Pioltage before going as we would transit Wrangell Narrows both ways, was informed that any foreign flagged vessel over 65 ft must have pilotage both ways, estimated cost $4k, I asked if we put a US Master on board would that give us an exemption? NO...I asked if a US vessel with a 17 yr old non certified individual in command would pilotage apply ?? NO....just proved was a cash grab, we ended up going through Dry Spit at high tide with a guide ahead checking depths, was a great adventure and really ticked off the pilotage as they did check when we got to Juneau. I had the track recorded just in case they thought we cheated.
    I have also heard that WA. State tries to impose similar regs for Canadians.
  16. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Pilot Fees Great Lakes
    Pilot group says Viking ship group was aware of U.S. pilotage requirements, costs

7/23 - Port Huron, Mich. – The Norwegian Viking Ship Draken Harald Harfagre is on its way to Chicago from Bay City, Mich., for the Tall Ships celebration on July 27-31, despite having to pay pilotage fees on the Great Lakes. They have decided to keep participating in the Tall Ships Challenge after a public campaign to collect donations has raised over $65,000.

The organization behind the Viking ship, Draken Expedition America, has claimed that it was caught unaware of U.S. pilotage requirements when they entered the St. Lawrence Seaway in early June after being told by the Canadian Great Lakes Pilotage Authority that they are were exempt because they were less than 35 meters long.

The U.S. pilotage regulations are different and base requirements on whether a foreign-flag vessel is conducting commercial activity on the Great Lakes such as collecting fees to attend events and to provide tours for paying passengers, much like cruise ships. If the Viking ship were not accepting any fees and open to the public for free, they would be exempt from all pilot requirements.

The Draken organization calculated in June that they will need to raise a sensational $430,000 to continue on. They are now estimating $260,000 because they are traveling at a higher rate of speed, which is still too high by our estimate. In October of 2015, the U.S. pilot companies handling pilotage where the events are scheduled, sent estimates of $192,000 for the Viking ship’s transit costs at the request of Tall Ships America Director, Patricia Lock, for their whole itinerary on the Great Lakes. That figure, based on 6 knots speed, was later revised downward by 15% after the new lower rates were published April 1.

The ship is now making additional stops in Alpena, Beaver Island and Frankfort, Michigan and collecting fees for tours. The vessel is traveling under sail and engine making speeds of 8.5 to 10 knots. The latest total round-trip cost estimate for the Viking ship for all the scheduled ports using the starting and ending point of Massena N.Y., on the St. Lawrence River, is $155,000 at 8.5 knots speed.

In November, the spokesperson of the Draken Expedition, Woodrow Wiest, acknowledged that pilotage was mandatory for the entire Great Lakes in an email circulated to all pilotage districts by the U.S. Coast Guard. In addition, a meeting was held in Cleveland in February attended by Patricia Lock, the U.S. Coast Guard Director of Great Lakes Pilotage Todd Haviland and all three U.S. pilotage district presidents to discuss U.S. pilotage rules and rates. It was made clear that there would be no exceptions to the U.S. regulations for the tall ships. The regulations for Great Lakes pilotage are clearly available under both the U.S. and Canadian pilotage authorities’ websites.

The Viking ship organization had all this information before the voyage started from Norway on April 26. Despite an exemption from Canadian pilotage, they voluntarily hired pilots in the Canadian waters of the St. Lawrence Seaway and Welland Canal for fees of CDN $17,000.

The estimated attendance for the five Tall Ship events on the U.S. side is 1.5 million. The foreign-flag tall ships are the most popular at these events. After paying an entrance fee to each event, another $12 on average is charged per person for a dockside tour of the 10 or so participating ships. When you add up these fees, plus cruise fees of $65 to $150 per person and sponsorships of up to $45,000 per port, the total revenue collected by a foreign-flag tall ship could easily exceed $1.5 million just in the U.S. ports alone. The vessel has already stopped in Brockville and Toronto, Ont.

Pilots are hired to direct ships in every port and congested waterway in the world. The reason is to have a local expert navigator to prevent accidents and environmental catastrophes. The foreign-flag tall ships are manned by very capable captains. Even so, we find that they are very appreciative that they have pilots on board for their 3,000-mile Great Lakes transit.

Over the last 30 years, over 40 tall ships that came into the Great Lakes were required by law to have a pilot. They came and left without any public campaign to avert costs. The Viking ship organization was adequately informed in advance of their US pilotage requirements and costs.

Lakes Pilots Association, Inc.
  17. Ken Bracewell

Rodger. Do you have the root source of this release? I'd like to save it, as we are considering a GL trip next year, and would like to refer back to it.
  18. Ken Bracewell

Hi Rodger.
    I replied to your PM, but have not received an email? Did you receive/send?
  19. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Sent PM this morning, will send more tonight have been very busy.
  20. Ken Bracewell

Thanks, Rodger. No PM received though. I'll standby for email when you have time.
    Cheers.