Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport

Pilot House Door repair / replacement in SE Fl.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by gcsi, Oct 20, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gcsi

gcsi Member

My boat (2002 75 Hatt CPMY) has aluminum Trend pilothouse doors. Since my ownership, I've been unable to get the doors to operate smoothly. In a nutshell, the lock / latch will not smoothly engage the strike plate nor smoothly enter the "receiver channel" of the door frame. Initially I thought it was only a matter of installing new hardware and "leveling" doors with respect to door frame. As I spent time on the project, it was discovered that the doors had about a 3/16"+ warp at mid door and was striking receiver channel which prevented system from functioning properly. Managed to true-up doors (+/- 1/16"). Still no joy. After weeks of effort, to say that I'm mildly frustrated would be like saying 2020 has been a disappointing year...

To date, I've;
    - Replace roller hardware. I've achieved wizard status with respect to this procedure!
    - Completely disassembled doors and reassembled (multiple times). Again, Wizard status.
    - Trued-up door at disassembly.
    - Contacted Sams and Hatteras, no help on replacement other than hardware.
    - Contacted Trend; ordered OEM hardware and installed. Doors no longer supported so cannot buy new doors. Tried for technical drawings, also no joy.

Having said all that, I think the doors are a bit too worn for effective repair. I'm ready to throw in the towel and completely replacing the entire system (frame, doors, hardware) or have new doors fabricated if I can find a vendor.

I would appreciate some guidance on the following;
    1). Name of company that specializes in marine door repairs?
    2). Name of company that could fabricate and install new doors only (to match existing)?
    3). Name of company that could fabricate and install completely new door assemblies?

It's not my nature to walk away from a technical challenge, but this one has me whipped! Boat is in Tampa, willing to relocate boat to get this issue addressed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brett
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

First off love the boat. Was just looking at them online. I think it is worth a phone call to UMT and/or YRM. I believe both are in Ft Lauderdale and they have custom fabrication in wood and aluminum. Good luck.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hi Brett,

I don't know of any company that specializes in fixing doors. Try calling Steve at RMS, he's very good at getting those doors working smoothly. I've always rebuilt them and got them to work flawlessly. I find it odd that they're warped, as aluminum doesn't generally warp in something like that. How are the areas around the door frame, are they flexing? Trend marine still makes doors and perhaps they can make new assemblies (new design) that fit the same openings. I wouldn't want wood as the moisture differences can make them hard to open and close. Fiberglass or Aluminum would be the way to go.
  4. gcsi

gcsi Member

J: Door frames are solid, no flexing. Interestingly, the doors deflect outward. The working theory is the doors were sandblasted last time they were painting. The blasting created concentrated heat over small area that in turn warped the doors.

Trend Marine no longer has and is unable to source the extrusions necessary to assemble the doors, nor do they have technical drawings or profiles so that I could source the materials; they showed no interest in manufacturing a replacement door. Now that I know what I'm looking at, it's evident that the metal channel that compromises the door styles has been bent to varying degrees in previous attempts to make the system function. We were able to straiten the styles by making a jig, then deflecting the door in small increasing increments until they rebounded to their approximate straitness.

I'll reach out to Steve.

Brett
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sometimes you have straighten it the old fashioned way. Blocks of wood, big C clamps and leverage boards, like a press.
    Don't be scared to find a welder that can solder up the seams and stripped out screw holes.

On one of the Hatts we manage, not much left to keep fixing.
    We will be making new from wood with hanging wheels/track.
    Owner cruising the C Bay now gathering more ideas before he pulls the trigger.