Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Pictures of Yacht Building Process

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JonS, Jul 10, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Is there any possibility of getting hold of any 'in build' photos. It's great to be able to see a yacht undergoing work and seeing the insides of them. Would Feadship be kind enough to supply any?
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This is a great idea Jon, something I've been working on for a few months. I haven't spoken with Feadship about this, however we have two other builders that are already taking construction progress pictures for us, so that we can create a continuing story right up to their launches. I'll have more on this soon. :)
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Photos of the actual hull construction would be appreciated. Different materials, steel, aluminium and composites all have their own process requirements.
    Finding out why specific yards have their own specific approach on materials handling and selection would also help in the decision making process.
  4. YachtForums

Guys,

I moved this thread over to the General Yachting Discussion. It's a good topic and hopefully others will chime-in. This could prove "inspirational" in getting other builders to follow in suit. ;)

Because I've been working on the NEW YachtForums in the background, I haven't had time to follow up on this recently, but we have 2 builders that have already agreed to do this.

If I can present other builders with a thread, much like the..."Which Lurssen should we review" thread, we can probably get more of them excited about this idea.

Thanks! :)

Carl
  5. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Come on then guys 'n' gals! Start the chant right here!

"What do we want?"

"We want construction pictures!"

"When do we want them?"

"Throughtout the build process and launch!"

:D
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Why confine this to building? It would be interesting to see how the yacht evolves during the designing process as well. :cool:

Kelly Cook
  7. JonS

JonS Senior Member

To be honest, you'll be extremely lucky to find any info during the design of a yacht. From experience design offices usually are security pass accesed or coded doors/swipe card type job.

But it's always worth asking! :D
  8. YachtForums

This is a good idea too. Although Lars has done a very good job of walking viewers through the design process in a thread committed to the same, where he showed you the elements of basic design and how it evolved into his works of art. :)
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

OOPS!!! There are so many forums on this site that I get lost. Never even noticed the 2 design forums. My bad :(

Is this the thread you mentioned? - Lars Modin Design II

chagrined Kelly
  10. YachtForums

LOL! :)

You're right. There's so many threads... I can't find it now! :D

It was a thread titled the "the Design Process", where Lars started with the basic outline of a yacht and then progressively added the details and dimensions.

Here's the link...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034
  11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I've been hanging around most of the boating sites for several years. And that Design Process thread is the most impressive thread I have ever seen. Anywhere. Could I be so cheeky as to suggest you pin that one to the top of its forum?

Kelly
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

D-40 from A to Z...

I have suggested to Carl that I will collect pictures of the whole design/build process I am in right now with our 40-foot boat and post them when it is close to completion this time next year.

Today the conceptual design is ready and we also have the 3D-drawings of the hull which soon will be made as a 1/10 model for tank testing. Later the plug will be made by a CNC-robot followed by moulds in epoxy. The first prototype will be sea tested next summer and if all goes well we will be at the yacht show in November 2006 with the first production boat.

Maybe I´ll give you some teasers in a thread this fall... :)
    /Lars
  13. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Lars we had hoped for something a little bigger from you...like the Try Cat 100. However, any boat you build will sell. :)
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Next time it might be a bigger yacht, but as with the TRY project it takes forever until the boat is there. Most one-off yachts are between three and five years from idea to completion.

What is interesting with this 40´GRP-boat is the use of computer aid to get a boat that is exactly as you draw it, down to 0.1 mm accuracy. A first time event for me and hopefully interesting also for others to follow... :)
  15. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

There are various boatbuilder websites that you can visit to see on how a boat is progressing. One that comes to mind is Jarrett Bay. Their Web site is http://www.**************/
  16. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Van Lent Feadship going for the olympics

Today i passed both de Vries and Van Lent and to my surprise the doors were wide open at both the sheds! Now, it was very warm here, so...

Unfortunately the De Vries shed was VERY empty, so, one entertaining shot of an empty De Vries shed:)

The van Lent shed was another matter completely, very busy there, people building like there was no tomorrow so i sailed to the first door i could find and made a few pictures of something in the build but not a clue as to which ship this is.

When i went to the next door, Feadies appaered from everywhere at anunbelievable speed, given the temperature, and started shutting the big doors.
    Very unfortunate for me, since i was just docking my sloop to take a closer look.

Still... Feadship, great craftsman and amazing sprinters :D

Attached Files:

17. YachtForums

LOL!!! :D
  18. kootenay67

kootenay67 Senior Member

In photo # 1 of the empty shed is that not a hull way in the back in the rear bay ??
  19. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

well spotted; my wife said the same thing; it certainly looks like a bow, but i don't understand why its that far back in the shed.
  20. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

to photo #1, the round and grey thing under the first crane looks like a door. I don't know what the shed looks from the side, but I would think there is an other building behind, where they have maybe parts of a hull. On the other hand there is paint on it. Maybe some superstructur? Or a model?