Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

Photo contributions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jul 23, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Photo Contributions...

(This thread is continued from another thread...)

It's IMPORTANT to keep threads on track and post information that is relavent to the thread. Sometimes, theads take a discussion in a different direction. If you search threads for specific information, and you find posts that are not related to the topic, then others will not find the forum to be useful. Let's keep pictures relavent to the discussion too.

OK, picking up the pieces...

The images that members find on the net, or through the lense of their cameras, are often much better than we can find anywhere, or get from a builder. But, we need to be careful. Some images are sensitive, or may be copyrighted, or may not be appropriate. We ALL have to use common sense.

One more thing, if I can ask a favor from everyone... the size of the images needs to be 640 pixels wide or less! The reasons for this are many, but mostly so viewers on small screens don't have to scroll sideways AND because dial-up users will not be happy. The difference in download time for images between 640 pixels and 540 pixels is noticeable. As you go above 640 pixels, the difference becomes dramatic! Larger images also slow down the server, thus slowing the performance for everyone on the site.

I re-size pics everday that are posted by others. I'm happy to do this, because I REALLY appreciate everyone's contributions and I don't want to stifle participation, but I would be grateful if everyone worked with me on this.

Thanks! :)
  2. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

I will remember; thought width had to be 850... :D
  3. techmati

techmati Senior Member

i would like to say though that the internet yacht forums in general do not have enough participation at the moment to be having a problem with too many pics (as long as you visit regularly). We do not want to discourage people posting pics, there are way too many lurkers on the forums perhaps afraid to post cos they think that their knowledge is inferior to some of the regulars but in fact their contribution can be very useful. i personally love to see new pics of the same yachts in different ports. i like to see photos but most of all i like to see the photos in the context of a thread and at the same time learn something from the discussion which accompanies the photos rather than sifting through the webshots community. i personally do not buy all the magazines and books so perhaps that is why almost every thread and photo interests me.

Indeed with the major yachts it would be nice if once we have progressively covered all the close up special features of the yachts it would be nice to receive further pics which are more wide angle and show the yacht as the main subject but the port in the background. so we in essence travel the world with these yachts. this is the beauty of the spotting community, that we have a network of spotters around the world that can catch the yacht at each port call. we are larger in personnel and reach of our network, we are further ahead and faster to publish than the magazines but if you like to see pro shots only then visit the newsagent.

the quality of images should be relevant to their context, if they are new and exclusive then even a camera phone image i would like to see. if they are a picture of a production yacht then yes they should be perfectly exposed and composed. personally i enjoyed to see tantetruus' images.

but in the context of forums, what are we to do? delete the images from the threads which we do not like? that would not be nice. i like Carl's forums as opposed to the competition which have the photos being pre-approved before publishing. perhaps we can have threads on the major yachts which remain unedited with all the contributions and then also editors choice threads which are modded to remove all the unnecessary posts.

just my .02
  4. YachtForums

Excellent post! Agreed!! :)
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I started this thread to respond to the discussion on the Pictures of Yacht Building Process thread. Which had wandered somewhat off topic.

In particular, techmati posted a very eloquent, well constructed, and persuasive argument from the "spotters" point of view (see post above) on photo contributions by our members. So - I'm wondering - why not just have a dedicated forum here for the spotters' contributions? Instead of piling everything in the General Yacht Discussion forum?

PS - feel free to restate your posts here guys if you would like :)

Kelly Cook
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just for those that missed the post (somewhere... don't ask me where) Carl made last week... there's a new look for yachtforums.com coming up soon, and the new version will have a Gallery section for hi-res photos. Now, I don't remember if he posted any other details, but I'm assuming it'll end up something like the boatdesign.net forums, which have a great gallery section that anyone can contribute to. :)
  7. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

couldn't agree more.
    as for old pictures; i for one would buy the cd...
    (might be an idea, to produce a cd each year?)
  8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

THANKS Kevin. I'm also a member of that site, but was not aware of their photo gallery! (Old age ****s.) That gallery is nicely organized. However, I am not so comfortable with the structure where comments (or posts) are attached to individual photos. For me it is more enjoyable to have threads with multiple photos, and something of a more natural conversation. (Did that make sense?)

Kelly
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

COOL DEAL on merging in the posts from the other thread Carl. I've never seen that done before!

Kelly
  10. YachtForums

Whew! I actually had to extrapolate each post, assign it a chronological time, re-post it in a hidden forum I keep for "scatch" work, then... post each one individually in order. It's not pretty, but it worked.

I had to delete a few posts to do this. Sorry!!!
  11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Oh shoot. I was hoping it would be easier than repeated cut-and-paste (could have done that myself :rolleyes: ) BTW, are we now OT again?

Kelly
  12. YachtForums

LOL! Yes, you're right. OT again! Getting back...

I think Techmati's post has covered everything very well. :)
  13. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Oh well. I guess I shouldn't post any of my pics :rolleyes:
  14. YachtForums

That would be another kind of "sensitive" picture. ;)

We might create a Members Only forum in the future. Nothing extreme, just some of the more risque pictures taken at the Columbus Day Regatta, Key West Fantasy Fest and... on the bow of your Bertram! :p