Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Peurto Rico or Virgin Islands

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Watermanmax, Mar 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Watermanmax

Watermanmax New Member

Hi All,
    New to this forum....anything will be appreciated.
    This fall I am going to attempt the first trial run of the "semi retired" plan, Which is to live on the 41 foot Lagoon in the Caribbean for the Winter months. I am very familiar with the East end of Peurto Rico. (patrolled these waters in the US Navy like a life time ago) But also I am very interested in Virgin Islands as far as mooring the boat, and exploring with family, friends, and a few charters.
    Wondering the difference of the Marinas in Fajardo versus the one at the big resort in Humacao? Or just head over to the US VI?
    My thinking is that Pr. would be a little cheaper than the Virgin islands.....But the ladder may be just a little nicer for the reason of more tourists.
    Thanks in advance from the Newby
  2. sailquik

sailquik New Member

Puerto Rico:
    Cheaper dockage, fuel and water.
    Easier to fly in and out of if you're leaving the boat and going back to the mainland.
    Easier (and cheaper) to find a mechanic if something breaks.
    Limited places to go: Culebra and Vieques are daytrips from Fajardo and Humacao, but the VI's take all day to get to on a sailboat (it's faster coming back)
    Crossing from PR to the VI's can get rough.

VI's:
    Many different anchorages and beaches to explore
    Protected waters in between the islands make it simple and fun for non-boaters and guests.

Personally, if I was living aboard I'd probably stay in the VI's, but if I had to come and go from the mainland I would base myself out of PR and do week-long trips to the VI's.

Another thing to consider is that you probably don't want to stay for too long in PR because they could say you're a resident and ask you to pay tax and licensing on the boat. It isn't likely, but the economy is doing so poorly over there that the government is scratching for every penny it can get. I'm not sure what the time limit is before you have to register the vessel in PR, but you may find some info here: http://drna.pr.gov/

As for the difference between Humacao and Fajardo area marinas, Fajardo is pretty much the Nautical Capital of PR with easy access to Icacos and Palominos Islands (nice little beaches that turn into party central on weekends) while Palmas del Mar in Humacao is much quieter and laid back.

The marinas in Fajardo are easy access and large, the one in Palmas is smaller and is harder to enter and exit when the weather gets bad.

Hope that helps. Amazingly beautiful area regardless where you choose.
  3. Watermanmax

Watermanmax New Member

Thanks so much .... pretty much what I knew .... except for the new tax thing...thanks so much.