Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck

Party Boat hits Sunrise Bridge

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Nov 22, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hopefully, later today somebody can figure out what happened.
    Glad all are safe.

Something about boats and bridges down there. Is there a feud going on?
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If the boat was northbound on the ICW, it would be nearly impossible to get into this predicament at the Sunrise bridge. The Hilton Hotel docks are located directly behind the stern. I'm merely speculating, but is it possible they were disembarking and someone bumped forward gear?

Photo credit: WPTV

Attached Files:

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The boats permanent slip is about 50' behind where it is sitting. Looks like it just drifted into the bridge.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The reporter describes the yacht slammed into the bridge. Looked like an easy drift.
    I can see a little stb aft clutch action just before the video ends.

No real journalism but "people were heard screaming" usually sells another ad.
    Not a bit of any real info.
    Don't know what the Sun-Sentinel says, they want money now to view their rag.
    Again, glad all are O K.

Thank you Carl and Skippy J for some usable info.
    Look forward to the rest of the story.
  6. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I don't know the area or the currents, but it looks to me like it must be a really strong current to have drifted that hard in to the bridge. I think Carl may be correct with his theory of someone accidentally putting it into gear. My humble thoughts only.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the sun sentinel headline mentions a luxury yacht... that tells you something about the journalistic skills of the people working for that rag.

put in gear by accident? Maybe or more likely control failure.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ya know, every time a supposed control failures comes up, I Find it strange that a boats can move that far (or further) when it happens.
    The operator must wonder pretty far off from the helm when these events happen.
    The shutdown, turn off, Emergency kill, or run breaker (all usually near the helm) is never used quickly or at all.

But then, Easy & cheap when controls and not human failure is to blame; nobody gets fired and the insurance company pays off the damage.
    Again, again, glad all are O K.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve always wondered too. On party boat like this, I m pretty sure the captain docks from the FB with crew handling lines.

On on smaller boats, the captain may have to leave the FB or primary helm and move to another station. I always do that for visibility reason or to help the crew with lines. With cables or with some engine controls, the main station stays on until you take over elsewhere. Cables obviously are always live. It could be possible for a guest to bump into controls... I always make sure nobody is around the FB helm when I head downstairs but you never know what could happen
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On the newer electronic controls, a button is pressed on or near the controls to make put that location in command mode and none other.
    Is there a mode in these newer controls to disengage all controls?

I remember an event where a backing/docking station was enabled and in use while approaching and lying on a fuel dock. Life was good until the crew started moving lines and fenders around.
    Yep, levers (clutch and throttle) were bumped forward and off she went.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You can’t disable cat controls, they get disabled only when active button is pressed elsewhere. Morse electronics were the same. Haven’t tried on the MTU controls

It would be logic to disable a station by pressing the button again...
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have used a few but never thought to try my idea. I wonder if it's there and nobody knows.
    I did not mean to distract this thread but until some new news comes up (doubtful) we can chat about spec ideas.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can put the cat controls into Neutral gear lock out mode very easily, so if someone bumps the sticks you just get throttle. You can also activate another station and take over on the sturdy/CAT controls

You can do the same with MAN and MTU controls, BUT you cannot access another station and if someone goes from fwd (press/hold command and put them in gear to get throttle only/gear lockout) but if they go thru neutral to reverse it will go in reverse and you also cannot access another station.

The current at Sunrise blvd is strong and can be 3-4 knots.

This is an old dinner party boat, I went by it earlier in the afternoon and looked to be a charter was about to start.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yes you can’t put cat controls in neutral only mode but I don’t believe you can cancel it from an other station, can you? Never tried.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, you can take over another station if, 1 station is active and in neutral only mode. It stays in neutral only mode when you activate the other station......which is a nice feature. I also like in Synch, you can raise (or lower rpms) 50 rpms at a time by hitting the up or down arrow on the controls. I generally just get the boat on plane and then increase throttle from there, that way if it gets rough, very easy to precisely take a little throttle out.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

gcsi likes this.
  17. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

" Slamming " LOL..............