Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Paint repairs in Ft Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MYCaptainChris, Jun 8, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Has anyone got any decent and reliable paint/rust repair guys in Fort Lauderdale.

I have a few rust spots that need attention, and I'd like the windlass repainting. Unfortunately the guys who did the paint during the refit used the wrong primer on the windlass so the paint is falling off, the warranty was void as soon as the boat left the yard it seems!!!!

I've called a couple of guys since I've been back but I've made the decision that if they don't return my calls or don't show up when they say they would, then they're not getting the work. No more chasing them to do it. Obviously don't need it!!?? At worse I'll head North and get it done up there.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Chris,

Are you looking for an independent contractor to come over to the boat, or will you consider taking the boat to a yard? If it's the latter, you might check with Michael Bach at Rybovich. His number is 561-844-1800 (yard) or 561-379-3589 (cell). You can also PM him. (YF member: MBACH). He may know some good independents to refer you to.

Another option, check with Mac McLaughlin at Broward Marine 954-925-8118, or PM him (YF member: MacMcL). Broward's repair and refit division has become busy. If you can't slip into the yard, he might know some independents as well.
  3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I just had a very good experience with a paint guy up in Riviera Beach. He re did the blue & gold accent stripes on my Bertram. He did a great job & I saw other boats that he had done that look really nice.
    Danh Nguyen from Nguyen Yacht Refinishing. His wife Jackie runs the business. I'm not sure how far he travels but I'd give them a call.

Jackie Nguyen 772 214-4240
    Tell her David Dall sent you.
  4. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

thanks

Great thanks for the info
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

MyCaptainChris:

This might be overkill, but you hit the nail on the head mentioning "wrong primer" which is very important with steel/non-ferrous-- call Joe Purtell who is THE paint expert. AwlGrip/Azko Nobel.
    Carl probably has a number for him.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Sure do...

Joe Purtell
    tel: 954-561-5478
    e-mail: joe (dot) purtell (at) internationalpaint (dot) com