Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

owner stateroom aft

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by nacho, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nacho

nacho New Member

Has anybody seen examples of yachts with owner stateroom being placed right at stern on the lower floor, next to the swimming platform? (i.e. in the place usually used as garage for tenders). This is the case of the Ferretti Altura, but I wonder if it is feasible to make a wide open connection between stateroom and swim platform (now it would be more of a terrace) through sliding doors
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi and welcome to the YachtForums!

Yes, it is pretty common with aft staterooms on yachts. But less so with hatches to the swim platform. I have been onboard a Perini about 50 m where there was a hatch with connection to the owners accommodation, but of course it has to be a watertight door in between. Some yachts today are built with a foldable terrace from the staterooms on a higher level where the risk for a sudden wave to enter is low. I once made a design concept with a bathroom linking the aft cabin with the swim platform, a nice idea if made fool-proof..:)

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/6259-post72.html
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Very common arrangement on US houseboats. But of course those are strictly for lakes. Hardly thought of as yachts ....

Kelly
  4. nacho

nacho New Member

I understand that safety and seaworthiness doesn't favour this type of layout. However, I guess the use of glass sliding doors, in combination with waterproof doors like the ones used on the tender garages, could make the concept viable: waterproof doors would remain closed at motion or when sea conditions so determine. Anchored at good sea conditions, you could do with just glass sliding doors, enjoying an attractive open plan of stateroom plus terrace. Other issue to be considered is the less privacy this solution means (i.e. terrace to be shared with rest of passengers, easy access to master stateroom when moored at port, etc).
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

6. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

The Emerald Star doesn't have a stateroom astern, but just the gym. I think that the connection between the gym and the accomodation will be a bulkhead with a watertight door.
    Wallys have a similar option with their terrace at the sea. Although the decks are slightly higher above the waterline, they seem to work pretty well. I've seen a sketch for a 90 foot planing yacht with this concept. The raised swimplatform was the terrace for the owner's stateroom and below the deck was a setup for an IPS quad. Looked interesting but I'm afraid it ended up in the funny ideas departement.
  7. nacho

nacho New Member

Wallyace

I am refreshing an old thread I posted more than 3 years ago. I was thinking of a yacht with owner stateroom aft with direct access to the swim platform, an unsual layout I guess limited by safety and seaworthy restrictions. My original thought was more of a folding swim platform (like the one at the Ferretti 800) that when lifted it also acts as a watertight door, in combination with glass sliding doors between the stateroom and the terrace. Buy I see Wally is taking the concept further at Wallyace (www.*********, please refer to displace yachts section) with simply a couple glass sliding doors opening to the swim platform. From the pictures it seems the platform is raised aprox 1 meter over the sea level, so not very clear to me how seaworth this concept maybe, particularly for a yacht that is no kind of day cruiser, with almost 4,000 nm range). Anyway, the concept looks incredibly attractive to me when anchored (probably not so much if moored in a crowded marina).

Best wishes for 2011, with lots of time at sea ... for those you want it that way... :)