Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander

Original Fairing on Roamers

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by roamertim, Apr 25, 2006.

1. roamertim

roamertim Member

Hello Gents,
    I wonder if any of you know what type of fairing material CC applied over the aluminum on the '69 Roamer. I'm sanding off the old in prep of painting hull sides and see a grey bondo-like hard as nails coating over the entire aluminum hull. A reddish primer is applied over that coating, over which the old paint was applied. The coating is not "bad", but I do need to patch a couple of scars and it would be good to know what I've got to be compatible with there.
    thanks,
    Tim
  2. 9lives

9lives Member

original fairing

Jim Wick from LPX sales might be able to help you.
    I also re-painted and re-faired my hull sides. I only had a few small areas where I was forced to sandblast the old "bondo down to aluminum and build out from there. We used a zinc chromate on the aluminum and then a fairing system from "Awl Grip" It has held up perfectly for 3 years and hope it matches the longevity of the original system.

If memory is right the orangish paint is a flexible urethane.

In the attached photo you can see the bondo that was replaced in the keel area. The yellow is the Zinc, and the paler brown is the Awl Fair applied to smoth out the keel edge. I almost forgot how rough it looks when you are prepping! The finished product is a little better!
    Mark

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Nice work Mark. The new paint looks great. :)

BTW... I have reduced the size of your images to 640 pixels, our standard size on YF. Thanks.
  4. roamertim

roamertim Member

Fairing - I'm with Awlgrip as well

Mark,
    I'm using awlgrip as well. Actually, my fly bridge is ready for striping, the cabin is ready for topcoating. I made the mistake of thinking a water-sand blaster that I used to strip paint below the waterline was a good idea to use on her hull sides. In hindsight, I would have been better off to just keep sanding this year with the D/A. The blaster put some gouges into that grey "bondo" and that is what I'm looking to smooth now. I'm hopign to have her shining and pretty again by July!
    This picture was taken before I did the bottom, but you can see the sides pretty well in this. I'll look up that fairing on Awlgrip's web and try it. Awlgrip also has a high fill primer that I think I will have to use on these areas now. Did you use that as well?
    THANKS for sharing!
    Tim

Attached Files:

5. 9lives

9lives Member

Yes we had to spray the hi-build on the sides a couple of times (in addition we sprayed a grey tracer or indicater so you had a differential to show the high and low spots) and then continue to sand and fair if memory is correct. To truly get all of the waves out it is a tedious task to say the least. Jim Wick told me at one time that they only built a couple of Roamers that were faired to this level from the factory. I think he said it was a $25k add on at that time. Seems high in 1968 dollars but that is what I think he said. In any rate it was so expensive and time cinsuming that few had it done.
    Mark
  6. artwork

artwork Member

fairing - awlgrip

Mark, that looks great. You've got to be very proud of that boat.
    I have about 100 questions so I'd like to ask some 'offline'. Would you email me at:
    agauthier (at) hostsdepot (dot) com.
    But the main questions that I'm sure everyone would like to know is 'Did you do all that yourself? How much fairing did you have to do? Was the topcoat (Awlgrip) sprayed on by the yard? I owned a Marina in Bay City Michigan for a few years (in the 80's) and stayed away from Awlgrip because of the respritory issues.
    The entire bottom of my boat needs fairing and I'll hopefully start sandblasting in a couple weeks when the humidity starts to drop off.

Art
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Art,

I have edited your e-mail address. In the future, be careful not to post your e-mail address in a public forum. Certain web crawlers and bots are programmed to search for addresses. This becomes fuel for marketers, which results in spam in your inbox.

Carl