Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta

Oregon to Southern California

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by randm, Aug 2, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. randm

randm New Member

We are recently retired and are considering purchasing a 40' trawler in Portland,Oregon and bringing it to Channel Island Harbor. We owned a 38' Sports fisher in Marina Del Rey 30 years ago so we have basic knowledge. We have signed up for a 3 day Coast Guard Aux class. What information can anyone give us before starting on this adventure. Should we consider hiring a Captain to deliver the boat or is this something we can do without ending up fish bait? My Wife has a fear of the ocean but handled Southern California waters well.
  2. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi there,

First finish the class, then try a trawler like the one you want to buy, if you could be on one for a day or so it would be great to see how comfortable you are with its behavior on the water and with its systems and electronics. Boating is for sure way easier than it was 30 years ago. Then your options after buying are:

1- Hire a captain, which is the easiest and safest option, you can even be on the boat during the trip and get your personalized training on your boat from the captain, you will learn every step from planning the trip up-til reaching your destination safely at minimal cost. No to mention getting familiar with all the equipment and electronics on board.

2- If you know how to plan such a trip safely (Not based on dates but based on legs), and consider all hazards on the way (the route is famous for debris and other stuff in the water), plan rest and fueling stops, etc. then it would be easy for you both to do it. Doing such a journey means you either want to save the captain's costs or you want to enjoy your boat, to enjoy your boat, you should be 500% sure you will be having fun doing so safely and competently. Your partner should have the same confidence and the decision should be mutual. You should also have an open schedule, restricting your self to a timetable would be your first mistake, mistakes at sea lead to trouble you don't wish for!

Best of luck.
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

That section of coastline is famous for poor weather conditions, specially around the headlands areas, weather and sea states are going to be you main concern along with how well the vessel has been maintained mechanically, if you wife is hesitant, hire a Captain and go with him to get the added experience, fly your wife down. |The last thing you need is an unhappy Admiral on your new vessel.
  4. travler

travler Senior Member

well first of all good luck in your new adventure , the trip is very do,able i have made the trip more times than i can count make sure the boat is sea worthy have the spare parts you think you might need watch the weather real close going down the hill is much easer than going up the hill you should have mostly following sea's just remember if it has the words point or cape in it it can and will get rough at some point, if your wife get's worried or sick i would let her travel buy other means, you can hire some experianced help to make it a lot easer , also do you want this to happen in a hury or a nice easy pace stoping and exploring along the way there are also some neet places to see as you travle south , planning is key just as all things

have fun travler
  5. randm

randm New Member

Thanks for all the good information, We are retired so time is not an issue. We have been quote $10,000 to hire a captain to bring it down, really not in our budget so will probably need to do it our self or find a different boat in Southern California. We really like the boat in Oregon but have heard the waters are very rough. Since we are not on a time schedule we would like to make the trip. I am considering getting a slip in Oregon for a couple of weeks so we can get familiar with the boat. If we make the trip how close to shore should we travel and what areas should we avoid? Thanks again for ever ones input
  6. luckylg

luckylg New Member

Give me a call. I might be able to help you out. PM sent.