Click for Llebroc List Your Boat Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights

One of the last Trumpy's ever made...

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by YachtForums, Dec 28, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I spotted this Trumpy in Boca Grande, on the west coast of Florida. It was raining and windy, so this was the only picture I took. At first, it was hard to tell it was a Trumpy, as it was a very modern yacht... but the "T" gave it away! ;)

Attached Files:

2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The last

here is the last Trumpy ever built; "Sirius" (the houseboat, there was a Sirius cruiser style) She is my across the dock neighbor at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven, Kent Narrows, MD.

Eric

Attached Files:

3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Wedding Crashers

Eric,
    You seem to be very knowledgable about Trumpy's.
    I've been wondering which boat was used in the movie, Wedding Crashers. Since it was filmed in your back yard I'm hoping you could tell me.
    Thanks.
    Ken
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Ken, Thanks for the reply. The movie "Wedding Crashers" featured the Trumpy "Christina" now known as "Valor". Dennis Hulton owned "Christina" at the time and provided her on numerous locations for the filming. Right at the tail end of her use in the film, one of the brokers for my company sold her to Roy Clauss from Connecticut, who renamed her to her original name "Valor". The Clauss family uses the boat primarily during summer in Nantucket. She is a 1958 Cruiser, 57' built under Trumpy contract #383.

In an unfortunate turn of events, "Valor" broke her mooring in a freak squall that blew through the Northeast in November 2006. It is my understanding that she wound up partially sunk and grouded on a rocky coast in LI Sound, with major structural damage. She was immediately salvaged and has been taken to a boat yard for damage assesment. I have been told that the owner is only interested in her proper repair and return to his family's use.

Here is: "Valor" (ex "Christina") A few years ago, in a better time.

Attached Files:

5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I've seen that boat in Nantucket and Newport. What a shame about the brokern mooring. Are you sure it was in November? Most of the damage up there happened on Labor Day weekend. Just ask CTDAVE.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It was the same storm that you may recall spawned a tornado that ripped thru Wilmington NC, killing several mobile home residents. I was there on the Cape Fear River that morning showing a restored 50 Elco I have for sale. It was wicked. That fast moving storm blew up the coast and it's remnants did the deed to "Valor" in Ct.

It's good to learn that the owner wants her repaired.
  7. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I have seen "Valor" hauled out of the water and on the hard at Brewer's Yacht Haven in Stamford, CT.
    She is a real beauty, but is going to need a *lot* of work to be right again. Kudos to the owner for for not letting her go to the woodpile. I hate seeing us lose unique old boats. That, and I have a soft spot for Trumpy's, as a young nipper I was mate aboard "Wishing Star", 84' cockpit Trumpy built in 1963 (ex-Aras, ex-Pintail)
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'd love to see some photos of Valor if you're not far from her. I have heard that she's in pretty tough shape.

Wishing Star is a beauty. I saw her last winter on the New River in Ft Lauderdale. 84' is a whole lot of wood boat to maintain.
  9. CaptPKilbride

Here You Go Eric

This is my first try at batch resizing so please bear with me

Attached Files:

10. CaptPKilbride

Wow

:) Better than I thought!

Attached Files:

11. h.ogrady

h.ogrady New Member

Does anyone know who will will repair valor. I hate seeing old wooden boats, especialy trumpy's damaged.
  12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'm aware of discussions of repairs. I'm sure it will be conracted to a yard that is well qualified. Perhaps someone else here knows the status?
  13. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Does anyone know the current status of "Valor"? I had heard that she was to go to salvage sale with Cooper Capital Salvage, but she has never shown up on their website. I'm wondering if she is still located at the same yard? Please advise any update. Thanks!
  14. CaptPKilbride

When I was in Stamford in mid-May she was still on the hard at Brewer's Yacht Haven.
  15. Here is a picture of a Mathis/Trumpy that I worked on back in the early 70's by the name of Columbia. She sank at the dock in New York harbor, was raised and I saw her on the ICW in the Carolinas and in Annapolis later.
    Any one know what happened to her (Built 1931 110' )

Attached Files:

16. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The last I saw her, she was re-named "Commodore" and was afloat at Bay Bridge Marina, Kent Island, MD. That was a few years back. She may now be in Virginia getting some work done, but I'm not certain of that. I do believe that she is still with us.
  17. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Trumpy "Valor"

Any news on "Valor"? I'm still hoping to hear that someone is fixing her. Anyone near Brewers that can provide an update on her current whereabouts and condition?
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I found this thread by googling "trumpy Valor" after seeing here on the hard here at Brewer Stamford West where i am till tomorrow...

sadly she's still there, in the very same condition shown above. what a sad sight... i really hope someone can salvage here and restore her, although it will be a major rebuilt, not a restoration. I poked my head thru the hole, what a mess.

even the topsides have suffered serious damage. I couldn't even bring myself to take pictures...

I guess the fact that someone is still paying for storage means there is hope.
  19. CaptPKilbride

Saddest thing ever

I saw this video of a 1946 Mathis Trumpy being demolished... about the saddest video I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NV1ArAXXiY

The yacht was most recently known as "Silver Swan", but many who spent time in the Virgin Islands in the 80's will remember here as "Capricorn Lady", ran as a charter boat by Dan and Judi Gilman based out of Nanny Cay, Tortola. She was always kept immaculately, and the Gilman's earned a well-deserved reputation for providing their guests with a top notch charter vacation experience.

"Capricorn Lady" was the first Trumpy I ever saw up close and personal, and it was love at first sight... I have had a soft spot in my heart for Trumpy's ever since.
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This was posted somewhere else on YF a week or so back.

A great shame to see all that craftsmanship destroyed in such a manner.