Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums

Onan 8.5Kw uses oil and coolant

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Stainless45, Aug 16, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

The boat came with a 1990 vintage Onan 8.5kw generator of unknown hours. It runs great and makes solid electricity but lately it's been using up oil and coolant. I do not have the budget for a new one so my question is has anybody overhauled one of these little 3 cylinder units? Are parts kits available?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Parts are no longer available. Even if you did rebuild it, you'd be pissing good money after bad on it on ancillary parts.......Save your money for a new one. How much oil and coolant is it using?
    Stainless45 likes this.
  3. Stainless45

After about a 6hr run the low oil cutout shut it down that's how I found out. Had to add probably 2 quarts. Coolant has been getting low too, having to top up 1/2 gallon.
  4. garyboats365

garyboats365 New Member

My Onan MDKDL 9 KW was an upgrade for the old 8.5. You can get them rebuilt for around 15G. It is worth it
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Phasor makes a pretty good generator for the money that's simple, if you want to go the cheaper route for a new one. I would NEVER rebuild a 20+ year old generator.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

To clarify; it was full on oil and used two quarts in 6 hours? Or you don’t know how low it was to start with? Obviously, if you know it used 2 quarts in 6 hours that’s really bad. I would think it would be smoking pretty bad unless the oil is leaking out?
    It’s a tuff situation if you can’t afford to replace it. You can be throwing good money after bad by rebuilding the engine on an older unit that may have other failures just around the corner.
  7. Stainless45

The 2 quarts is a rough estimate of what was needed to top it back up. It doesn't smoke at all. I'm going to try and watch the consumption more closely. I had hoped to get by for a while by doing an overhaul perhaps in the winter. It seems the Kubota parts may be available, or I'll look for a running take-out if this one quits.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Hopefully you get lucky. Those Kubota engines are pretty dang good. How many hours are on it?
  9. Stainless45

I have no idea on the hours. It was put in as a running take-out several years ago by the previous owner.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Which is what got you here in the first place. If the previous owner spent a little more and bought a new gennie, it would still be running fine. Save your money and buy a new generator and be happy for another 20 years. If you rebuild junk, you will still have junk, and if you rebuild the generator you'll be back here in 3 years complaining that the junk you spent good money on rebuilding is now junk again.
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I had a 7.5 Kw that was beginning to dollar me. Bought all kinds of spare parts because they were becoming scarce. Lift pumps and rebuilt kits, raw water rebuild kits etc.etc.
    The high pressure pump went South ( but I had a used spare !! ) and after $ 1,800.00 to repair it, it went South again within 6 hrs.

I broke down and bought an 8 KW Phasor. My marina is a dealer.
    I think it cost about $ 9,000.00 all tolled.
    I did most all the work myself.
    This cost includes the "Might As Wells" - new fuel lines, valve, Racor, raw water lines and some hardware along with the marina labor and use of the travel lift.
    I was able to re-use the original generator mounting base and attached the new pan to that.
    The marina picked the old one out and set the new one in for me while I was there.
    I removed the old and installed the new one.
    I backed into the travel lift well, the old one was out & new one in the engine area pretty quick

No frills.
    The new one came with a wiring harness that I used and put the new switches right in place of the old ones.
    I did re-use the old power cables because they looked fantastic. No cracked insulation, bright copper and flexible too.

I did not get the sound shield but I did buy the sound shield base in the event I thought it was too loud.
    Turns out the base makes and excellent catch basin if it should leak anything between inspections.

It is much more quiet than the Onan and I run it more than I did the Onan.

The old one had about 3800 hrs of use and it ran whenever I started my Detroits. Always ran it loaded too. Simply could not get parts readily and could NOT find anyone to work on it.

The gear driven raw water pump leaked a real small amount of oil almost immediately and the company sent me a new one with in days.

Overall, I am happy with the decision.
    Stainless45 and TahoeJohn like this.
  12. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    If you have mechanical ability you can rebuild the engine by boring the engine and putting in sleeves, use the same pistons, and have rings made if they're not available. Same with the head and pan gasket. The head can be rebuilt by a diesel head shop. If necessary, racing shops have suppliers that make custom pistons, rings and gaskets. Any shop that rebuilds engines, gas or diesel should be able to sleeve the engine. And they may have suppliers for the other stuff.
    Stainless45 likes this.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Stainless, please don’t open duplicate threads. We get penalized by search engines for this.
  14. Stainless45

Apologies, I should have posted it in this section originally
  15. Stainless45

Update- Oil use isn't as bad as I had thought, still watching the coolant as it seems to use some. My mechanic thinks it's running hot and we put some barnacle buster through the unit. Sometimes it runs great, other times there is a fault that causes shut down. Still troubleshooting. And it's an 8kw not 8.5

Going to try to keep this thing running until I can afford to upgrade
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Barnacle buster is the LAST thing I would do. If it's losing 1/2 a gallon of coolant and it's not leaking externally, and it's not getting into the oil, it's leaking out of the heat exchanger into the sea water. If that's the case, Barnacle buster will just eat more of the heat exchanger away and the coolant will all leak out. You need a new mechanic, then you need to pull the heat exchanger and pressure test it and if good, clean it. But it sounds to me like you need a new heat exchanger.
    Stainless45 likes this.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree. It’s likely to be the heat exchanger which is easy to test and replace if needed. If original, 30+ years old.

it could also be the head gasket but you d have other symptoms