Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Onan 27kw random shutdown

Discussion in 'Generators' started by TahoeJohn, Aug 24, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

One of our Onan 27kw (MDKAF) generators has started to randomly shut itself down. Sometimes it will run for 2 hours before doing so while other times it happens after a few minutes. Load doesn't seem to be an issue. Nothing has been done to it recently; its last annual service was in November.

I did do a static fuel pressure test which was fine: 5.5 psi, within the range of 3.5 and 6psi.

The other things mentioned in the manual that could shut it down:
    S2: High engine temperature
    S3: Low coolant level
    S4: Low oil pressure
    S5: High exhaust temperature

While I don't think any of these conditions are occurring, it could of course be a faulty sensor. However, these conditions (when encountered), should trip the "fault condition CB2" breaker (picture below), but that breaker has always remained closed, even when the unit shuts itself down.

Is my understanding of how this breaker works correct? Do the 4 conditions above trip this breaker when encountered?

gen controls.jpg
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I do not believe the shut down sensors you list trip that breaker. If you have two of the same gen, start swapping sensors to see which one shuts down the other gen.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Could also be a dirty heat exchanger and it's getting up to the shut down temperature.
  4. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Two good suggestions, thank you! I do have two of the same generators so I'll first check the HE and then start swapping sensors, one at a time.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pascal was here before on his previous work boat when he took it over.
    Fresh sensors all around I recall took care of it.

I remember going around in circles on new install sets, including my own.
    Bad senders will require lots of aspirin also.

When fixed, you will remember your Excedrin Headache # 27 well.
  6. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Could it be intermittent loss of current to or failure of fuel solenoid . Had my 9kw Onan shut down with low voltage when trying to start mains with bad batteries. Like a faulty connection?
  7. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Thanks, CR. Something to consider. Sensors are not expensive and most (except for the exhaust temp) are fairly accessible. Maybe just start with oil pressure, coolant temp, and coolant level sensors and see if it goes away.

Thanks, LM. I did look for loose connections but didn't find anything in my initial search. Also, the 12V system for the generators is completely independent from the 24V mains starters. But it's something to keep an eye on, for sure.