Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Old Boat advice

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ohcaptainron, May 30, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ohcaptainron

ohcaptainron New Member

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I had a quick look at the specs provided online.

I would get a survey done by your own surveyor no matter what they show you on paper.

An old Alu boat will be a magnet for corrosion and soft spots.

I would ask why the Port engine was rebuilt or replaced 50 hrs ago- I would have thought that a 1965 250HP NA Cummins would not exactly be available off the shelf which is why I say rebuilt.

Find out what the expected life cycle is for the gensets, I don't have any experience with thie particular engine/genset combos but from what I have read here that number of hours seem like they have had a good innings already and might be due for replacement in the not too distant future.

Fernstrom Keel Koolers are a good item to have but they should also be inspected, tested for leaks, corrosion etc.

The air cooled freezer option is also a bonus- It is something I have just managed a mega yacht builder to include to their systems.

The fact that the topside paint was redone in Trinidad in 2004 probably means that it is due for repainting.

Go into this or any other prospective purchase with your eyes wide open, do your home work carefully and don't take any wooden nickels.