Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Oil Level Dipstick

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Codger, Feb 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

After reading these posts was reminded of chasing a problem some time ago.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/55238-post6.html
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/55224-post5.html
    I thought that I'd create this thread with a a pertinent title just in case someone else does a search sometime.

Calibrate the dipstick.
    There is a very good reason to do this other than those listed in the noted posts.

You could actually have the wrong dipstick.

I won't go in to how I know this or how much was spent trying to figure out what the problem was before it was discovered that the incorrect dipsticks were the issue.:eek:
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That reminds me of a story I was told when doing my apprenticeship about a customer who had come in to the spares dept looking for a new dipstick.

The customer was under the impression that the one they were using was too short as it would no longer reach the oil.

Have no idea if it was fact or fiction but it made us laugh at the time anyway.
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

K1..as simple as it sounds to add oil to a motor...I am going to complicate it some...

I read your post about adding the recommended amount of oil listed from the tech manual.
    Now.. what about when you are dealing with motors that are installed in different angles? Should it make a difference of how much oil to be added or should the dip stick simply just be re-calibrated? Because the engine manufacture has the dipstick set for a motor sitting straight I would assume.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There is always a maximum angle that manufacturers say their engines can run at.

Calibrating the stick when you know you have the correct oil quantity in the sump is the best way of not over filling