Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Octopus back in Barbados

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yacht News, Oct 15, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The Octopus is back here again. She came in this morning after the Benetti Reverie departed. Big O is berthed at Break Water South BWS....She currently has her biggest heli out on the aft pad...and the Hanger is opened up.
  2. Francois

Francois New Member

yachtluver ,she was docked here in Durban harbour a few months ago and was going north when they left so I was told.I think they took the red sea route.
    I bet she has the latest technology on board.

Francois
  3. techmati

techmati Senior Member

where are the pics?
    dont you own a camera?
  4. Yacht News

She left the harbour at 12 this afternoon to go out side and play with her toys...but currently she is took them up and now is awaiting permission to re-enter the harbour.

Techmati, i was at university for the whole day, and the light is fading now so i cant get good shots...and besides i live about 4-6 miles from the harbour...so i couldnt no possibly pull off good shots from that angle.
  5. airship

airship Senior Member

And it seems only a few days ago that Octopus was casting its shadow* on the town of Antibes...

* I bet'cha Stan would've loved to have built that shadow. Or, if Octopus was the shadow, the rest of us would love to see the yacht she was supposed to be shadowing...?! :D
  6. Yacht News

She is currently at Sugar Berth West (SBW)... she had to move yesterday to allow Sun Princess to use Break Water South (BWS)...right now she has her transom door open and 2 rib's are tied to the bathing platform....thats all for now.
  7. Yacht News

For today, Octopus left the harbour and has anchored just off the breakwater. She has dropped 2 rib's, one is tied to the bathing platform and the other one is back and forth between the harbour and Octo.The Sikorski? is out on the aft pad and they were in process of draging the smaller one from the hanger. That's it for now..
  8. Yacht News

Well, after being outside the breakwater yesday...she journied east to anchor off in Carlilse Bay...offf the Hilton. where she spent the rest of the day and night. Today i looked out there and she is not there..so i assumed she has gone North up the coast (west coast ) of probably left the Island...Thats it for now untill she comes back. (if she comes back)
  9. Yacht News

Today, Octo came back about 9 am...she is berthed Sugar Berth West.. (SBW) She looks the usual..transom door opened....SH helli on the aft pad.
  10. Yacht News

She is still here on the sugar berth in Barbados....here is a look at her aft from the webcam of the cruise ship Aurora............http://members.chello.nl/~a.horlings/wei-cru.html

when the page opens....scroll down to P&O cruises..and look at the Aurora and see...
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Two large-ish looking sailboats on their way past right now. :)
  12. Yacht News

Oh really?.....They might have been the Athina and Martella.....two 80' maxi sloops that we own here for sailing.
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Here's the shot, I saved it. :D

Attached Files:

14. Yacht News

Thats them alright:) good eyes Kevin.

Today the Port is full...2 Holland America cruise ships...Veendam and Maasdam are on the break water facing Octopus and the container berths are all taken up with 2 bulk vessels and two container ships...The harbour is crawling with Lifeboats everywhere!....from Veendam, Maasdam...Octopus even has her Port Life boat down...
  15. Yacht News

Here once more, a report on Octopus, She has departed the Sugar Berth at 10 am barbados time, pilot disembarked at 10:17 and she was underway. They departed with both helicopters on the aft pad...and seemed to be preparing to transfer the smaller heli to the bow pad because i saw a crewmember taking out the bow railings and they lowered the aft flag staff.
    Octopus is heading in an almost WNW direction in the line of St. Vincent at about 13 knots ( my estimate). Thats all untill i see big O again:(
  16. Yacht News

I was just surfing and found this.....it appears that Octopus has an autonomous vehicle (ROV) aboard. This i never knew untill i saw a pic just now. Did she have this all the time or is this a new addition?
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2680273960044707473FcxZbA

Credit to the person who took the shot...'shipy102'
  17. Yacht News

Another report---- Amazingly Octopus came back this morning...she probably went for one of those little cruises. She is currently in the Carlilse Bay area.....with the Man O' War port-alongside at the stern....the Sikoirsky(biggest heli) is on the bow pad( never seen that before).
  18. Yacht News

Octo returned back to the harbour after playing with her toys yesterday.....was an awesome sight to see the 60 foot Man O' War in action and the Sikorsky took flight! Now she is back at Sugar Berth West moored to her Port side.
  19. paolo_ita

paolo_ita New Member

Yachtluver would be more interesting in seeing some photos.
  20. Yacht News

Well actually i went to take pics on Thursday to find that my camera was not working propperly. I do not know why. It is shutting off quickly after turning on... So i do not know.