Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

Ocean Yacht Keel Coolers

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Topboatguy, Dec 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

I purchased a 46' Ocean Sunliner earlier this year and have found out there are two 10' long keel coolers on the Port side if the keel. Can anyone tell me what these are/were for?
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

closed loop cooling for your machinery in lieu of having sea chests / through hulls for sea water cooled condensers
  3. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

All water-cooled equipment presently in use has seacocks and thru-hulls. All the A/C condensing units are new and discharge cooling water into the Port exhaust tube. They ARE located directly above the keel cooling tubes. Hmmm?
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Interesting, The only thing left to do is good old school trace out the connection lines to your coolers and see where & what they go to and if they're still in use.
  5. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

That won't be as easy as it sounds. I've not seen any fitting inside the boat, or even have access to areas where they may be. This gives me something to do, like I need more things to do! Thank you for your help.
  6. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Are you sure that they are keel coolers ? What diameter are the pipes on the keel, are they about 3/8 inches. I had the same thing on a 38 Ocean and I believe that they were copper pipes used in the electrical grounding system. I do not think that these are keel coolers.

hope this helps

GMax
  7. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

The diver did not say what diameter they were. I'll have to find out from him. Thanks
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I had the same on my 1977 egg harbor. They were perforated at intervals for the attachment bolts
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

tube was also open at both ends
  10. justold

justold Member

if it is the same as my 38 ' ocean ,they are a grounding plate for the single side band radio .
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I believe mine was an over all grounding for the boat, including the radar arch, even though I did have a "lightening " plate below also. But that's just me guessing. But I can say this though, it was not a cooling component
  12. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

Diver stated they were about 1/2" in diameter. I'm going with grounding bars till I can look myself. Thank you all!
  13. Sjb671

Sjb671 New Member

Did you ever find out what the bars were for under boat? I have a 1986 44ss ocean and I'm on the hunt for same answer
  14. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

After a haul-out last month, inspection of the tubes provided no answers. They are hollow tubes about 3/4" in diameter with openings at both ends. Holes along all sides are manufactured. Puzzling at best. Definitely not keel-coolers! I'm still looking for the answer, although not as hard.
    Any assistance would still be appreciated.
    Thanks
  15. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Grounds. Do the same thing as a Dynaplate.
  16. Sjb671

Sjb671 New Member

I have the same thing on my boat and the tubes are not in that great of shape anymore so I either wanted to repair if needed or remove...I have a plate zinc on the transom of boat and always guessed it was the bonding system that goes throughout boat not the pipes but maybe I'm wrong
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sounds like old fashioned ground plane for ole side band radios. The idea was to offer the greatest contact to the water to form the lower end of a dipole.
    Newer tuners allow for a dyna plate (course bronze block) to emulate this effect.
  18. Topboatguy

Topboatguy New Member

Thank you all for the input. That make the most sense. I also had a fuel leak from the Port fiberglass tank. I cut it out and replaced with a aluminum one. Have pics. if anyone is interested.
    Thanks