Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Seacoast Click for St. Pete Port Click for Westport

Ocean hull construction question - above waterline - 1995 Ocean 66

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by GJackson, Nov 30, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GJackson

GJackson New Member

Good morning. First time poster here!

I just completed a pre-purchase inspection on a 1995 Ocean 66. I am sorting through the list of issues to see if I should move forward or not on this boat.

One issue is: There is a partial bulkhead in the engine room just aft of the transmissions. A previous owner appears to have cut away from the top of the bulkhead to make clearance for the exhaust hoses. Maybe the factory did this, I am not certain. Anyways, it exposed the bulkhead materials to the elements. The materials used by Ocean Yachts in this bulkhead appears to be alternating layers of foam and balsa encapsulated on both sides by fiberglass. Termites have settled into the starboard bulkhead. The surveyor says he can detect hallow space all the way back to the hull side but is unable to go further because the fuel tank is in the way. The broker states his Ocean Yachts expert said the hull sides have absolutely no balsa in the core, only foam, so the issue needs attention but is not a major issue. Anybody know for sure what is inside the hull above the waterline?

Any thoughts on this bulkhead, its construction, termite issues, and the risk termites are in the hull sides?

Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

Gordon
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Would they let you pay someone to pull a small thru hull on the hull side near that area and re-install it to see what material the coring is? I managed/maintained a 1987 63' Ocean for decades until 2009 or so when the owner sold it and we never had any coring issues on the boat. But I don't know what kind it had, if any.
  3. GJackson

GJackson New Member

Thank you. Easiest inspection point is under the engine room vent openings. I had already floated the idea of removing the vent grill and taking .25 inches of material off in an area to verify core and inspect for termite penetration.
  4. GJackson

GJackson New Member

I ended up walking away from this boat. Termites + MAN-grenades (no 2 year service for the past 8 years and iron in the engine oil on starboard engine...OMG big $$$) + a long list of inop equipment and deferred maintenance. A shame to see an otherwise beautiful boat in such poor condition. From the dock it looks beautiful! You would almost have to get the boat for free to make all the repairs and not get upside down on the deal.