Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta

Ocean 38

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by chuckes, Sep 29, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chuckes

chuckes New Member

Could use some advice. I am preparing to seatrial a couple of 38 Oceans and would like to hear any 38 Ocean stories or commentarty on the 38. The boats are either a 87 or 1990 and I have never fished an ocean or been aboard. If anyone has any first hand stories it would be appreciated. I've been told with 3208's the boat will cruise at 28 knots. Hope someone can help. Thx
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

that sounds a bit fast.....
  3. chuckes

chuckes New Member

I thought so also. suspect more like 22-24. We'll see thx
  4. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Chuckes, I'm curious. How did the sea trials go? What did you learn?
  5. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

hey Chuckles
    my dad bought a 1989 ocean 38 5 years ago and we have used it for cruising and fishing around the southern caribbean. The boat is powered by 3208 cats 375 hp and the cruising speed is 18 knots with a top end of about 23 knots
    the boat serves this purpose very well. here are a few pros and cons about the boat.
    pros:
    -great interior layout and well finished woodwork
    -good engine room layout, with decent access to most parts of the engines
    - good fuel economy, on a 150 mile trip in rough seas while cruising at 16-17kts burned only 180 gallons
    - average head sea ride in big seas, once you slow down to less than 18 knots, having fished alot on a 37 bertram I could honestly say the headsea ride was not that much worse than the bertram in big seas, lets just say if you wouldnt go out in the ocean 38 you probably wont want to be out in the bertram 37

negatives

-plenty exterior teak which requires some maintenance
    - following sea ride is not the best
    -cockpit hatches tend to leak a bit
    - trim tabs were a bit undersized, resulting in the boat running bow high. after we fitted custom trim tabs on the transom the headsea ride greatly improved

hope this helps and good luck with your decision

G Max
  6. Berean

Berean Senior Member

I think I saw your boat pics on another thread. Nice looking boat. What was involved with removing the teak decks with nonskid?
  7. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

thanks berean, the teak removal process was fairly straight forward and then we just put a layer of glass and resin over the fiberglass deck to fill in the screw holes, then to finish the job they just applied the required primers and then the non skid coating paint. we also remade the deck hatches with a hinged down the center instead of one big hatch to make taking stuff out the starage compartments and fishboxes easier