Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport

Not the biggest yacht but the interior is incredible!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by catmando, Oct 10, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. catmando

catmando Senior Member

2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

It all looks very nice...........BUT........now here is the elephant in the room, when do you move the boat with an interior like this?

1#. I do hope the 3 white plant pots are bolted down and have an internal plate so that they don't break-up and scatter.

2#. The dinning table and chairs will need to be ratchet-strapped down. Not only that, the chairs will pick-up every stain dropped and dribbled on them. Nice.

3#. Bar stools and pink chairs. Thin stainless bases have no weight in them and will slip and slide like a lawyer on ice. Where do you stash them without them scratching each other?

4#. Nice white walls and no hand holds. You will of cause be wearing white gloves at all times with a hard hat, cup and padding, just to walk up to the owner's cabin. Hard Granite corners to navigate will take shins out. Very elegant.

5#. Polished stones on a polished floor? Thats a Sport in most countries; it'll take a bit more than a dab of Blu-tac or Krazy-glu to hold those suckers down.

A nice concept for sitting in a marina, just don't move the thing.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Fishtigua,

I had the opportunity to visit this boat. She definitely has the WoW factor in the interior design. Art-Line, as usual have done a good job for creating a good feeling of space. I do agree with you in moving around bit, but then which boat is not prone to such shortcomings.

Some specific comments to you points;

- the pots are there just for the photo shoot,
    - you need to somehow secure chairs and stools in any boat, this boat with those nice silk white carpets is not a boat to walk around during hard passages.
    - What you see on the floor are not stones but leather pads, nice to step on bare feet.

All in all, she is a show boat and not a boat to go to difficult sea conditions. That is for the crew and the crew areas were quite ok, especially the captain’s cabin on the top deck had wonderful views and quite elegant.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi Nilo,

Over many years I've been on enough boats and spoken to crews where the owners and designers who think this sort of style will work well.

I think I've told the story about the dancing grand piano before on the forum, also the crew that used the spiral staircase as a funfair ride in a bit of weather.

Safety at sea is covered in the Engineroom, Bridge and on deck. What about the poor crew who have to look after the interior. Sometimes I wish we had been paid danger money for going into the guest areas while at sea..
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Gorgeous yacht. I especially like how they've hidden the footbaths and cleansuit storage lockers.:rolleyes:
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've heard about those New York Bath-houses, never realised they had so much leather. ;)
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Over your way I understand they're called sheep farms.;) Now back to boats.
  8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Another wonderful Italian boat, poor engineer....
  9. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Fishtigua,

Most owners are not really involved with the details of the interior, other than esthetics and they are not equipped to sort out safety and practicality issues and they should not be expected to do that.

When I was building my boat I had the priorities in the following order; safety, practicality and esthetics. But most designers do not go to sea and shipyards do not so much care for this safety aspect, unless you have the boat build at a yard with this priority.

In fact, in the new build I am trying to get designed, I have been checking solutions for a tender bay in the lazarette. For full MCA you need to have a 60 cm clearance from the water level. I have noted on several boats which specifically supervised by RINA that a temporary piece is installed at the opening of the bay, which is in most examples I've seen removed after the MCA approval is received. This piece is staying somewhere in the tender bay and if a lot of water comes into the tender bay to create a risk of stability damage, so be it.

I believe very few owners would like to have an unsafe boat. In fact, I have recently witnessed that an owner who was not happy with the quality of his new build rejected the boat risk his down payments and went somewhere else to buy a proper boat; specifically with the influence of his captain. So, the moral of the story, this issue rests on those who are directly affected by it and how they influence the parties who have the power to decide for it. I am sure most of owners rely on their captains for the choice of the boats, or the details during the build process. I see this as an education process, especially when so many new owners have emerged during the recent year without much sea going experience. In the long run, I believe this will define the success of the quality over misperception.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Nilo,

I am standing up & clapping, truely. Someone listens.

I know what you mean about the tenders. At the Southampton Boat Show I looked at one of the new Sunseeker 130's. It had a 28' Venitian Coupe tender that showed every problem you have mentioned. Why? Its not rocket science to create a safe platform for launching a tender without flooding the transom in a bit of a swell.

I'm glad to see you hold your beliefs and are willing to move yards to hold on to them.

Well done.

Dave
  11. Northeasterner

Northeasterner New Member

I actually don't like the interior design of this boat, with the exception of the ensuite baths. I don't think I want to voyage in some high minded work of modern "art".
  12. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I agree with Fishtigua (and nilo) - this is a lovely 31st floor manhattan penthouse. At sea? No thanks.

That nice shiny slippery marble floor in the day head, with the elegant rectangular sharp-edged stainless steel spigot at 90º from the wall? That will be fun when a tipsy charter guest gets impaled.

Plus, the color palette is brown and white. Brown, brown, brown, and more brown.

Brown organic materials and white porcelain. Reminds me of something else, I just can't quite figure out what... :rolleyes:
  13. YES!

YES! Senior Member

Must have some great stabilizers........

....not a sea rail to be found!
  14. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Sorry, but that's not my idea of what the interior of a yacht should look like. If I were building a boat it would be a warm, comfortable place to spend a lot of time, not something that looks like the inside of a house of ill repute.

As I looked at the photos of that boat I expected to see a pic of a big guy in a wide lapel, white suit with a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses and white patent leather shoes offering me my choice of a bevy of young ladies.

Give me the warmth of mahogany and comfortable fabrics where I can relax.
  15. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

....LOL!
  16. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I agree with you, don't like the interior or the hull design. Give me the old classic anyday.