Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Burger

Nordhavn Yachts Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by diesel one, Mar 11, 2011.

1. diesel one

diesel one New Member

This is on the Nordhavn Dreamers Site

There is a case pending in Federal Court in Orange County, SACV10-01807 JVS. The case concerns the loom installed in Nordhavn vessels built in 2004 or before.
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Is this an informative post, or something to chum the waters with?
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Just about every boat builder to date has had some sort of lawsuit, what's your angle?
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Nordhaven

So, the carpets and stuff were badly woven by the looms ??
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I had a law suit once too. :D

20s-Convict-Adult-Costume.jpg
  6. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

It seems there is a lot of animosity towards Nordhavn's on this site, which is a turn off in my opinion. I am a member of this site and a few other sites and I find this site very informative and the people very friendly and helpful but when it comes to any info about Nordhavn which I think is a very well builit boat among many others. It is on my short list of trawlers to look at when I am closer to purchasing which is hopefully this coming Oct/Nov. But it seems a few are always trying to find fault or bring up negative things or trying to knock them off their pedalstal which is typical human behavior i guess. I am a big fan of Hatteras LRC and I do not hear a lot of negetavie talk about them Or Selene's or Kady Krogens etc. Maybe I am not looking hard enough but to bring up a pending lawsuit with no information about it seems a bit ??? I don't know stupid? sorry to offend but it is just my opinion and I know opinions are like *%&#% holes and everybody has one, but this is mine.
  7. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Nordhavn Law Suit

Hello:

It is my understanding this site is for education of those interested/involved in yachting. Nordhavn has a fantastic boat, no question about that and I am not anti-Nordhavn, in fact probably will buy one.

The suit allegations are that the wiring loom used in 2004 and earlier model Nordhavns were not in compliance regarding non-combustiblity and self extinguishing. I have no idea what standards/rules/regulations/quidelines/suggestions/whatever are involved.

Which brings up a possible thread or two:

What material is used in looms? Metal? Plastic? Fiberglass? What?

What are the flamability/combustibilty "rules and regulations" for fiberglass used in the construction of boats?

Is a fire retardant required/recommended/suggested?

How "fast" does a fiberglass fire spread-- both vertically and horizontally?
  8. denizci

denizci New Member

Nordhavns

I am on the same page as MeLikeCookies. I sense some negativity against Nordhavns here. Why?

When it comes to legal issues, obviously PAE will not be able to tell us the other side of the story here. Therefore this thread becomes only "one sided" informative platform which is no justice to Nordhavn dreamers and supporters like myself. :(

Cheers,
    Denizci
  9. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Nordhavens

Personally, they are highly overrated, galleys are small, s/r's are usually fwd down low, deck space is goofy and the price too high for what they are.
    They have done a reasonable job of promotion....so did Sea Ray
  10. denizci

denizci New Member

Overrated?? How many production boats circumnavigated the globe besides Nordhavns? Galleys might be small, s/r down whatever. They kick everyone's toosh out there IMHO.
  11. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

Everyone has their own idea of what they want to coastal cruise with or cross an ocean with but I just don't hear any negative info going out about Kady Krogen's which crosses oceans as well and I would put them in the same ball park price wise as Nordhavn (maybe slightly less due to more older models available). I personally don't like all the layouts of the Kady's with forward master staterooms and low height engine rooms until you get into the 58's or so believe. But you can get a mid stateroom w/ walk in engine room on a 43' Nordhavn and stabilized but still pretty pricey I agree but you get what you pay for in many instances. I think if they can get the $ for them and they obviously do then cudo's to their marketing plan, I am also a fan but I will be looking at older Hatteras LRC's to start with and I would love to hear anything negetive or postive about them. I like the stateroom layouts in them 48' 2 or 3 stateroom models but low height engine room as well. It's only until you get up to the 58/65 Hatteras LRC do you get the truly walk in engine room and of course they are all 20-25 year old boats. I just personally think coming out and bashing a particular brand for no seemingly good reason is unjust. I have heard of some anamosity of the owner/admin of Dreamers site and the owner/admin of this site (I don't think they will be sharing a beer anytime soon). I just hope to get back out on the water here real soon in something that floats and has a head (my whaler just ain't cutting it at the moment).
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Nobody is trying to find fault with Nordhavn, nor is anyone anti-Nordhavn here. The problem might be with the pro-Nordhavn sites. Apparently, certain information has been around for a while, yet somehow it was suppressed.

Many yacht builders have faced lawsuits. It's how they handle them that determines their success. As I previously stated, this is none of our business and more importantly... we don't want YachtForums to become a place to air dirty laundry.

If you wish to continue, please take discussions of this nature to the Private Message system. It is an effective tool for sharing information that is best not discussed in a public venue.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I really don't understand why you are making this personal. IT IS NOT. There is no animosity here. I simply banned a guy that repeatedly made promotional posts. FWIW, I've also banned a number boat builders and quite a few OEM & aftermarket suppliers that have attempted to exploit our media.

We take a zero-tolerance approach on promotion to protect YOU! We strive to keep the information on YF unadulterated by vested interests so that our readers can make decisions based on the feed-back of experienced users.

... and we'd like to keep it that way!
  14. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

The list of production boats that have circumnavigated the globe is longer than you think I would expect. In fact I would guess most of the sailboats that have done it are production boats.

How exactly do they "kick everyone's toosh out there"?
  15. denizci

denizci New Member

Capt Bill11:

Obviously sail boats are not part of the discussion here. The list I saw had several Nordhavns and one Hatteras (there were others too, but can't recall top of my head now). This prompts me to think they are better/desirable/preferred passage makers than others. If you have a different list, please enlight me.

Cheers,
    D.
  16. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I was just responding to your statement about "production" boats. And thought I would point out that there is nothing that special about a "production" boat circumnavigating. A production powerboat maybe. But it's a very small niche market at best so it's not surprising that few have done it or are built to do it.

But just because some Nordhavns have done it I don't see how that fact alone puts them in the position of "kicking every ones toosh out there".

So unless that is your only criteria, again I ask in what way are they "kicking every ones toosh out there"?

In my opinion, while they maybe great boats for open ocean cruising, I'm not a big fan of boats without a good flybridge and outside deck seating for dinning and hanging out at. To me being out on the water is the whole point of being out on the water. So I've never seen the allure of owning a cruising boat with little or no outside control or lounging spaces.
  17. travler

travler Senior Member

i also think the list of production boats that have been around the world is longer than you think , i have personally seen at least 4 other mfg's repted out there. there is also a real wealth of info here as there are several capt's and engineers that have made the trip on many occasions. i think nordhavn does an excellent job of marketing, but with that said it would not be my choice to travel the world in

good luck travler
  18. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

Have a family friend that was considering Nordhavn. He's switching back to his original top choice of Northern Marine. Open Ocean kind of criteria, Oregon coast to Alaska mostly. Main reason is large boat deck, carry a large tender for fishing on and also can be extra lounging space.
  19. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Nordhaven

Have an acquaintance who had a 60 Nordy, didn't think it big enough and ordered a 70 which is quite infamous, I believe the feeling is they are quite the status symbol. To each his own.
  20. RER

RER Senior Member

Yours is a position I hear frequently from some pretty knowledgeable boaters. And I agree. Perception becomes reality in this case.

I've heard from former Nordhavn owners who likened the interior to "a fairly nice submarine" or "the best boat for that 5% of the time you're in a storm". They traded for a conventional cockpit motor yacht. A salon with a view, covered aft deck, cockpit, and flybridge. The stuff you use the other 95% of the time.