Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Delta

No Power!!

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Gil Mendoza, Oct 3, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gil Mendoza

Gil Mendoza New Member

I’ve got a 2000 Ocean 56 SS. I’ve lost all power in the boat. No 110/220 on generator or hooked into shore. I’ve got the Charles 50 boost transformer isolator. Checked all the breakers and nada. Not sure if transfer switch has failed or possible transformer. Any help on where to start would be great. Thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Transformer would not affect generator. Has to be either the transfer switch or between the transfer switch and the panel/sub panels/legs

need to get a multimeter and trace starting at the transfer switch. Check for power at the lines coming from shore and gen, and then at the output terminal of the switch. Then trace the wires to the panel / sub panels
  3. Gil Mendoza

Gil Mendoza New Member

I just talked to my captain again and he said Genset in fact will power the boat. Has power going into the transformer but not coming out. Have any knowledge on them? I know the company is no longer. Not sure who to contact
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Charles Corp is alive and well. They just stopped making the ISO boost transformers.
    http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/ma_iso_boost.html
    Other than it's questionably in utility, it still is in high use. You can tap on them for support.

Your generator would not go thru the transformer.
    You will find somewhere a service breaker that has tripped.
    Mona Lisa likes this.
  5. Gil Mendoza

Gil Mendoza New Member

Ok I will reach out to them Monday!

yes he did confirm that generator will power the boat. For some reason he’s getting power to the transformer but not out.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's what happens when transformers go bad!
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Since you were originally under the impression that you were not getting juice from the gen or shore let me ask a couple of dumb questions. 1) Are you sure you're getting power from shore? 2) is you boat equipped with a breaker by the shore power plug? I'd work my way up from the pedestal. It probably is the transformer, but don't overlook the simple.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When they stay on all day long with A/Cs running, They get very hot. When in boost mode, get hotter.
    All that copper expanding and shrinking over and over again.
    Combine that with the marine environment; Freaking amazing they can work more than a few days.
    The long wire run to/from these things are a joke, here is where the voltage drops are, that extra mile of wire.

So, after many years installed on various boats and brands, I started watching these options fail in my part of the world long ago;
    Many were just bypassed and left in place. Like an engine, seemed the boat was built around them.

Some were bypassed and for a few reasons, just removed.
    Replacement cost probably.
    Discovered weight savings on some boats meant they were not replaced.
    Broken backs & smashed fingers were considerations for sure.
    Found a dock side transformer was smarter and cheaper.

The remaining few paid big bux to have failed transformers replaced. OMG, some owners do bend over well;
    Full crew with A frames, trolleys and chain hoist, disassembly of boat and/or engine parts. It is a dock side show.
    Usually no blood or smash fingers but the audibles are still entertaining.

All for a mostly un-needed boat anchor any way.

I just hope they find a hidden service breaker somewhere.
    Could be just a thermal cut off;
    Some need a button pushed back in.
    Some should automatically reset but fail, need a lil tap from a big hammer.