Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Westport

No ENG1 - what then?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Kaptajn, Nov 14, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kaptajn

Kaptajn New Member

Hello!

What are my opportunities if I don't have or cannot get a ENG1 and want to work as a stew?

Is ENG1 a must under all flags?

Please help!
    :confused:
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Read the regulations published by the flag state regarding medical standards and certification. The flag state maritime authority publishes a "white list" of nations from which they will accept a medical certificate, one of those is what you need.

You will be asked for an ENG1, you will be told you have to have one and might find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to spend a fortune for an ENG1 because the people asking for it don't know any better and don't even know the rules of the flag state they work under.

Good luck.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is there a reason that you can't get one?

Mine says on the back that it is required to sign on so please take care of it.

You might be able to get on a small private yacht without one but there might be a good reason why you can't get one so you should carefully consider this if it is likely to put your fellow crew members and guests in any danger of contacting a communicable disease.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Good question re why "cannot." I read the question as strictly in reference to a specific form of medical, not a medical in general.

Getting an ENG1 can be problematic in some parts of the world or very expensive where it is possible. No medical problem was mentioned so I read it as being unable or difficult to get the ENG1 form.

A current seafarer's medical certificate is required by international law as administered by the flag state, but an ENG1 is not unless sailing on a UK flag vessel. Cayman Islands are very happy to accept a USCG medical certificate that is available through almost any clinic in the US.

The ENG1 is an MCA document, flag state trumps the MCA.