Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Westport

No bow rail pics

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by jerry bredow, Aug 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jerry bredow

jerry bredow Member

looking for 46 or 47 footers without the bow rail. Anybody have any pictures? Debating about doing.
  2. C team

C team Senior Member

3. kubu

kubu Member

That would be my boat on yacht world. Took them off about 10 yrs. ago and have not missed them 1 bit.
  4. Bg77

Bg77 New Member

upload_2018-8-25_21-16-48.jpeg
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The for decks look so much better and just tied up, looks fast.
    However, years ago in a chop, on a friends boat; Lets drop the hook over this reef and bottom fish.
    What a ride.
    Then I remember P46. Always a boat full of guest and family. How could anyone safely go forward in a local beach setting.

Wife & I have to go forward in all kinds of conditions on our 58 Bert (look left). Glad the rails are there.

Safety rails do have a purpose. Maybe for safety???
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m curious to why people would want a boat without rails. Ok, looks fast so Mr Macho get bragging rights but how do you aafely anchor out or tend to lines or set fenders?
  7. sigarn

sigarn Member

The trend in sportfishers is for no rails, especially with the custom builders. More about the look than anything, but frankly there is little time spent on the bow of a sportfisher, based on how they are used.

On a traditional motor yacht or cruiser, its a different story.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That one ride on the bow of that SF turned me off. No rails and slipping all over the for deck trying to get his anchor deployed.
  9. truckman

truckman New Member

Sorry guys my opinion, looks much better with rails. Looks like they didn't finish the boat.
  10. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

The rail or no rail argument in a sport fisher all comes down to whether it is a boat run by a professional crew which mainly fish bill fish tournaments and hardly spend anytime on the hook. Therefore a bow rail and anchor roller / pulpit is not really needed. Or if the boat is run by a family who does a mix of fishing and cruising, then you will find bow rails and god forbid anchor pulpits. Many down here in the south Caribbean, myself included, use sport fishers for mainly cruising as they have more range, and better seakeeping than a motoryacht of the same size. So you will most certainly find bow rails.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  11. Flat top bob

Flat top bob New Member

took mine off my 1985 46’ post , looks assume but don’t know how to send pictures???
  12. porthole

porthole Member

I think this is a 42 with no bow rail.

13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

2 spring cleats would say it's a 46
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Everyone has their opinions and tastes, desires. But to specifically answer your question, one I rebuilt the 53c my decision was made to avoid the numerous penetrations into the cap rail. My decision was based upon shell integrity with the thought that I could always revisit and implement. I never had a need to, and I set her up with a pulpit and windlass with all chain rode that allowed me to anchor without going forward in most conditions. I also had tricks for shorthanded docking to set dock lines in advance. Bow line secured to spring cleat, for instance. Everything could be grabbed from the dock...

I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong on this topic. But having once retrieved a deck-mounted anchor aboard a Bertram at sea that had come loose, I can tell you there is a place and purpose...with anchor in hand, and sitting on my backside trying to secure, that deck was suddenly several feet below my ability to feel anything but panic.
  15. shawn

shawn New Member

post side.jpg
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

We have another similar thread going. More than looks. Its the first step in creating a snag free environment. The new boats even have hidden cleats. Morning bait fishing and net casting is done from the bow as the captain glides into a baitschool. Much easier with all obstructions removed. If you buy your bait, keep your rail. The targeted species almost alway comes in over the transom or cockpit sides, ergo the reason for hauser holes and below deck cleats on sportfishers. Nothing sticking up from that coaming to slice your line. You'll never see a stern rail or a swim platform on a serious SF
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  17. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Nice, those Post's are timeless and never go out style. I always notice that half -round varnished trim around the bridge, looks sharp.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Why do you all suppose he has his outriggers out??
  19. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

To get thru the Haulover Bridge without raising it. They do that all the time there.
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thank you for that info.