Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Next Megayacht Gadget?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AMG, Nov 6, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Helicopters are fast these days, but if you want to fly even faster and can not afford a Harrier, this might be the solution. The new Bell Agusta 109, can land and take of vertical, fly twice the speed of most helicopters and has a pressurized cabin.
    A must for Megayacht owners! Who will be the first? :cool:

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A new VTOL would be nice, but for the rest of us regular yacht owners, can I suggest something a little more affordable and a lot more fun...

I present to you.. the BlackShark.

LOA: 7 feet
    Range: +/- 1 mile
    Flight time: 20 minutes
    Top Speed: 105 mph
    Weight: 11 lbs.
    Power: 2.2 hp
    Cargo Load: minature video camera
    Purpose: to be able to say... "I have a helicopter onboard my boat" :D

Attached Files:

3. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

What about the joint strike fighter
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

A less noisy VTOL was used on the Margaux Rose. I remember when they used it during the Monaco Grand Prix, anchored just outside the port. Suddenly the wind picked up and they got serious problems among all other boats out there. Good fun to watch though....

What it is? Click on the link, since this picture is copyright protected;
    http://www.sailingsource.com/ppl/art_pic/margaux_rose_sardinia_bfi.jpg
  5. YachtForums

Certainly it would be the ultimate toy, but you would need the finances of a 3rd world country to purchase it, if you can get clearance.

Professor Paul Moller has been working on an interesting project for a number of years. It's being promoted as the future of transportion. As best I remember, it utilized 8 rotory engines, driving 4 ducted fan props that rotate for vertical or forward flight. Initial tests proved the concept in vertical flight, but I don't think they have moved into forward flight yet.

In doing a Google search, I found several links on the subject, including some litigation regarding a fraudulent stock offering. I haven't got time to read it, but if you have the interest, here's some links...

http://www.skyaid.org/Skycar/over1T.htm

And another...

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/tom.html

And yet another...

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/100105.html
  6. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Yes, but....

As a personal witness to the V-22 which crashed at Quantico Marine Base in 1992(along the Potomac River), I gotta say - that would be a truly adventurous purchase (paging Mr. Branson!)
    See what others think here:
    http://www.g2mil.com/V-22.htm
    http://edition.cnn.com/2002/US/04/25/v22.pentagon/
    As they say in the British Army - "...a bridge too far". :eek:
    CHEERS!
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I agree, she is still not certified I think, but some evolution must have occured the last ten years? Electronics and gyros (and GPS information?) might be able to control the movement as they do on canards on fighter-jets.
    In case of a motor failure on low altitude, it is as risky as with helicopters. From higher altitude where helis can use autorotation, this craft must be able to glide?
    But we will see, I like the idea and the styling though! :)
  8. YachtForums

I remember the initial problems and the grounding that followed. Not unusual with new technologies. Generally speaking, the knowledge gained from unfortunate mishaps leads to a better understanding of the hurdles yet to be overcome. This has been true with other forms of aviation too. What's sad is... with the tools, materials and knowledge we have available, coupled with the evolution of many aviation technologies... that this sort of thing could happen at all.

The Harrier was not without its share of problems too, but it has become an important part of the military arsenal. Helicopters have suffered their share of failures as well.

Still... I can't help but look at the V-22 and think one thing. Too many moving parts!
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, it would be easier to have the thing standing on her tail and the seats with gyro´s inside! :rolleyes:
  10. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Golden Opportunity.

Yes, I agree, the technology is definitely worth pursuing - lest we miss the boat or watch somebody else build it. (Remember who invented the Jet Ski - and no, it wasn't Kawasaki). Still, when and if you should step aboard one, remember what one naval officer told me later, "...., she ain't no PBY".

Attached Files:

• pby5.jpg
      pby5.jpg
      File size:
      26.9 KB
      Views:
  11. YachtForums

God Bless Clayton Jacobson III !! I've never bought Kawasaki products because of this.
  12. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Wurd up!

Spoken like a true American. God bless you (wherever she may be :D ).