Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Newly Acquired 1969 46' Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by roamon, Jan 11, 2008.

1. roamon

roamon New Member

Hello Gentlemen

My first big boat.., pretty darn awesome.., living on her while I clean, Inspect and tinker. Aluminum Hull-that I've just scrubbed and painted a very pretty blue. That's some fairly pricey paint I might add.., I've the best looking bottom in the Marina though.., Two Detroit Diesels that sound as good as they run.., interior, though re-done is very comfortable and really quite charming as a lot of classic wood trim was left. Can't wait for warmer weather. Any pointers very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Rick
  2. q240z

q240z New Member

Another sister ship!

Rick, what's your HIN? Mine is 2505.

And while we're at it, what's your prop shaft and exhaust tube diameter?

Cheers!
  3. roamon

roamon New Member

Thank You!!

My HIN is 501234.., RE Shaft Size 1.5" I believe.., Was (I am told) originally a gas boat w/427's. Currently has 8V71's.. thunderful motors.., they fire right up every time and run great. Cool to look at too.., Props are three blade and I just can't get much speed out of them. They appear to be undersized. Any prop suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My props look just like the ones on the boat with the stuck rudders in the forum. One other thing please..,my boat "feels" as though it's leaning towards forward. I've not put a marble to it, but do these boats tend to tilt forward some? I found a lot of chain in the very rear behind the master cabin. Ballast I presume. Not a big deal, but when I wake up in the mornings I canot resist pulling the hatches to see if I'm sinking.., maybe I'm just not used to sleeping on the boat yet. When underwary the boat feels as though the props are driving the nose down. I've hung off the side to look at it appears as though this is happening.., Pictures to come.., I have to put the stantions back and then she'll be ready to show off a bit. Not a show boat by any means.., but she's a beauty. Thank you again for the responses.. I look forward to sending questions up as for the most part I don't know anything about this boat.
    Kind Regards
    Rick
  4. q240z

q240z New Member

HEY! The one with the stuck rudders is mine. No trim problems yet, but then I'm still on the hard!

Mine also came with 427s originally. The original props are 24x24 four-blade, I believe, and I've still got them. Another fella, acellist, has an 871-powered 46 and he's running 28x28 oversized props.

Unless I'm wrong, your HIN should begin with RAQ...
  5. acellist

acellist Member

6. acellist

acellist Member

roamon, the following site gives some statistics for your model Roamer, including the freeboard height at bow and stern, perhaps if you measured your boat in the water and checked the results against figures given on this site it would allay some of your fears.
    http://www.geocities.com/alloyed2sea/Motoryacht_Riviera_46.html
    Hope that helps.
  7. roamon

roamon New Member

Thank you so very much for the responses.., Truly a pleasure to have available your experience's to reference. Will Check my HIN.., I very well may have sent the wrong #.., sorry about that.., Mr. (or Miss) q240z.. would you consider selling your props if not needed? I've installed bilges in the forward areas as there was indeed a considerable amount of water in that very front compartment when I made my purchase. There are two large tanks under the forward berths.., I think I've figured out the fuel valves below and it appears fuel was flowing to these tanks, but not back out. They "thump" as though they've got alot in then. Thinking that may be the answer. No fuel gauges as of yet.., just presumed these tanks were not in use as I've only fueled the rear tanks. I've alot to learn I'm sure are aware and I do appreciate very much the suggetions. Again, thank you all. I imagine I'll be troubling you again in the near future. Again, THANK YOU
  8. q240z

q240z New Member

Rick, Q's fine. I didn't realize I came across so sexually ambiguous in my posts. lol

I certainly would consider selling my props but first need to finish my own repower. I won't know which set of mine, if any, will work with the next engine/gear combo until I get them installed. Unfortunately, it will probably be next fall before we splash the boat. If you can wait that long, we'll work something out.

HEY! What size props do you have now? We might be able to swap!
  9. roamon

roamon New Member

Hello Q!

Not sure exactly the Prop Size, embarrassed to admit, but I think they've got to be less than 20". They've three blades and are in good shape. "Chriscraft" stenciled on each hub area if that helps.. I'm thinking those Beasts beneath my feet have got to be able to push that ol' Gal faster than the 7 or 8 knots I'm currently getting. Thought a barnacly hull was to blame initially, but now that her bottoms slick..., gott'a be porps I'm thinkin'. Not looking to do any wheelies mind you.., We do get a bit of chop on the Gulf Coast and occassionally and I'm not able to cut through it effectively. When she rocks and rolls in the chop.., beverages fall off the bar..,simply won't do. All about talking prop swap if you can use mine and I'm in no big hurry. Waters to cold for me to to dive her now anyway.., kind'a a sissy when it comes to water below 75 degrees or so. I'll get the mesurements for you pretty soon. Thank you again for the response and the best of luck with your re power.

Rick
  10. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

When you dive you should be able to find the size and pitch stamp in the props, should be on the hub between the blades. Mine are anyway, the first number should be the width and second the pitch of the blades.