Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

newbie lookin for advice

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by jmack1578, May 15, 2009.

1. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

i am currentley looking at 1968 roamer with a metal hull i beleive its 41 foot .the boat origanly came out of florida and now is on a lake in oklahoma. i dont know alot about the boat. twin deisals just rebuilt new water tanks new generator. the current owner is tired of messing with it and wants to get rid of it the inside is immaculate totally refit. but i am concerned with the hull of the boat and what might have to be done or what should be done. any advice would be a big help.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Look for a boat surveyor, that is the only way to find out. Local boat dealers can probably point you to one.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I too concur that you need a good surveyor. A good surveyor can take ultrasound readings of the hull thickness, which you want taken about once every square foot, maybe more. The surveyor can then tell you the hull thickness. It sounds like the boat has had a lot of money spent on it and is in good condition. The current owner probably wouldn't spend that kind of money on it if it had a thin bottom and needed plate work, but you never know. If the hull is the proper thickness, all you need to do is keep it protected with the proper paint on the bottom.
  4. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

What lake in Oklahoma is it on?
  5. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

its on grand. the owner has done alot work on it but needs some tlc. just a few things and it could be realy nice boat it appears he took care of all the more costley items such as engines. bottom job is a must just realy dont want to get into plating
  6. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I'm currently in Oklahoma City where my wife has been in the VA hospital for the last month. We spend a lot of time on Grand Lake staying at Bear's Den Resort. Hope to be up there in a couple of weeks. I may have seen that boat out on the lake. On Grand Lake you might get a hold of Howard Classic Boats in Langley. He has done work on other Roamers and he might know something about this one. http://www.howardclassicboats.com/
  7. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

would you all happen to know the average cost of a steel bottom job i know it depends on how bad it is and what needs to be done and size of boat. im just trying to estimate
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If it is extensive it is probably going to cost you way more than the boat is or will ever be worth.
  9. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

yea i undersatnd that i was trying to maybe get some type of figure maybe an average cost i got a steal on this boat. literally given to me. and im thinking of having it pulled out this winter and having some work done blasted,bottom job, paint etc etc. i know it depends on how bad it is just im just trying to get something to go off of i guess
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Doublers is the quickest and cheapest way to repair small bits, it adds quite some weight when dealing with large areas.

Cutting out and re plating is time consuming and expensive, I have not had any experience doing this with a small boat like this but know what is involved in larger ones and feel the process will be much the same

If the boat has been in fresh water all it's life and been kept pretty dry it should not be too bad.
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

yea the boat was originally in NY then in florida and has been in oklahoma prob the last 4 or 5 years. there is some rust near the transome that you can see but not alot. ive never had experiance with steel hulls before and i am trying to get as much info as i can on them
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think you will have to just bit the bullet and see what it is like.

If no water drips out of the plating when she is hauled that is a good start.

I would not go too full bore with the sand blasting until you have an idea what you are dealing with, a sand sweep will often achieve enough for a good key and re coat if the underlying paint system is in good shape.

As previously suggested in this thread a thorough audio gauging and a good surveyor will quickly be able to tell you what you are dealing with.

I wish you luck but it should be a warning that there was a good reason you were literally given this boat if the interior etc is as good as you say unless the previous Owner was a benevolent relative or you are a registered charity.:)
  13. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

yea kind of a friend of the family type deal my parents purchased thier boat off the same indivdual who happens to be very very well off. basically said he was just tired of messing with it and wanted to get rid of it i just kind of lucked into to it. but you never know. hopefully it i wil all work out and not be to bad of a deal just have to wait and see i guess
  14. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Maybe your Roamer should have come with it's own trust fund :D
  15. jmack1578

jmack1578 New Member

lol i wish.trust me he is the one well off not i. i still cant believe it myself.surprised the hell out of me. im just wanting to finish it out and get some advice. i have had bass boats nothing like this its all new to me
  16. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

better lucky than good

The bottom should be in reasonable shape if the rest of the boat is good like you say. It would be unlikely for an owner to not care for the bottom if he is conscientious and willing to invest in motors, interior, etc. Don't worry and enjoy your good deal!
  17. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Maybe I miss read the previous posts but they read like he did everything else first and hadn't gotten to the bottom yet, is that correct. It could cost you a lot or it maybe a easier fix which unfortunately you won't know until you pull it. But based on everything that has been done already it definitely is worth fixing and enjoying the boat for a lot of years to come.

I wish you luck with her when you pull her.
  18. silverdave

silverdave New Member

What happened

New on this forum and wondered how it came out.