Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Glendinning

New Zealand 500 t Captain

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by wildblue 1, Oct 13, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wildblue 1

wildblue 1 New Member

Hi all..
    I am a NZ 500 t captain with all STCW 95 certs and a MEC 5 (marine engineer class 5 NZ)..also a Queensland (Aus) Master 5 ticket.

I believe the MEC 5 is equivilant to a Y4 or there abouts in engineering certificates.
    Because of the differences between Maritime NZ and RYA or MCA , NZ tickets are not well recognised throughout the European countries but I believe our seameanship skills are very well regarded.

I have completed international deliveries throughout the South Pacific areas and the Med, including 1 delivery across the South China Sea.
    Many deliveries around NZ waters and over 15 years as a charter boat captain/owners agent etc.
    I have worked on vessels up to 28 mtrs and some larger commercial ships as captain and mate with engineering duties as well.

Currently I am looking for delivery work and or a part/full time position.
    Thankyou
    Trent Boult
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There have been a few Kiwis and Australians posting here over the years asking about their tickets.

Australia seems to have a twin system with State issued Tickets and Federaly issued Tickets.

I recently met a guy with Australian Master IV issued by Queensland. He was undertaking the Chief Officer 3000 ton for Yachts. He told me his Australian Ticket was of no use for getting an officers job on anything that needs tickets.

Take a look at the MCA website, see what STCW Reg the UK 500 ton tickets are issued under, if yours is issued under the same Reg and doesn't have anything adverse in the limitations section you should be able to apply for any job that requires that Ticket.

Good Luck.
  3. wildblue 1

wildblue 1 New Member

NZ tickets

Hi Kiwi,

Thanks for your reply (concern)

Maritime NZ is currently under going a major re-vamp in certification,

When I did my 500 t ticket we were told it would be of international standards and useable to that degree..this was not true !!

MCA will recognise our tickets but require another exam etc to hold a MCA qualification of the same or less size limit etc
    RYA are the same..remembering that RYA are not commercial tickets.

As from next year MNZ are implimenting a new qualification for the 500 t NZ tickets that will apparently be online with MCA and be accepted throughout.

I am intending on completeing this qualification asap.

The people that hold these tickets( as a group) are in serious talks with MNZ about this as we all feel we will be ..1. guinie pigs for the new system and 2 made to spend more money and time away from work to get the qualification.( which we have already done)...let alone the idea of needing more sea time on vessels which NZ simply does not have to get the sea time (500 t)...thus forcing most if not all of us overseas to get. Fishing vessels and navy are exempt for sea time of this nature which only leaves merchant or super yachts etc..its a differcult situation for all involved believe me !!!..im not moaning about this ..im simply trying to point out to owners and agents that we are still here in the world and are qualified and keen to work ( e.g get replies ) at the end of the day I think 95 % of insurance companies will reconise our qualifications but it can be a long process..which in turn MCA quals are better and easier for owners/agents etc

A example of this is a friend of mine got a position on a tug and barge over seas and was found to not have correct quals ( he holds the NZ 500 t) he has had to go backwards and complete his 500 t under MCA to keep his job (which he has )..

At the end of the day there are people out there that have no quals but are captains etc...Im simply a experienced qualified captain ( I believe) that is trying to get the word out there and do the job that im very good at. cheers T