Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander

New washer/dryer that's easy to dis/reassemble??

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by TahoeJohn, Jun 30, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Hi all, not sure where to put this thread so moderators, please feel free to move, as needed.

We have a 24" over/under washer/dryer that's 20 years old. It still works, but is showing the years and I'd like to replace with new.

There is no 24" wide access door to this location, so I'll have chop up the old one (not a big deal) but then also carefully and partially disassemble the new one to bring it in. Does anyone have experience with a particular brand / model that had to do something like this?

Thanks!

7498143_20200629120357798_1_XLARGE.jpg
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That looks like your transom door?
    The enclosing cabinet has to come apart. New bungs and re-finish to put it back together.
    The aft door has to come off with the hinges.
    You want a bunch of young skinny strong stupid yard kids to move the equipment.

What brand boat and have you talked with the factory yet?
  3. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Yes, that's the transom door and it's well less than 24" wide. Removing the door/hinges will help, though, good tip.

What do you mean by "new bungs" and is the re-finishing because I'm drilling out spot welds?

Boat is Horizon. I hadn't thought about calling them because there's just no access and I really didn't expect a solution from them. They must have built the boat around the washer/dryer...
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bungs on repairing the wood enclosing cabinet. You wont see any screw heads with wood bungs finished over them.
    With the transom door off, the unit tilted long ways on it's side, should fit out between the transom door hinge eyes.

The cost of the new equipment is real cheap vs the cost of removal / re-install..
    Ya sure you want a new washer?

Eager to hear what the factory says.

On a Hatteras, from low mid-ship, we had to wrap in moving blankets, wearing hip & shoulder slings, kept it perfectly vertical to make the spiral stair case, then laid down & out thru the wheel house, galley, saloon, rear saloon door, over the cockpit & over the transom.
    It's in the owners hobby garage now.
    New Bosch equipment (2 pieces) went back in after a new closet was made for them.
  5. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Got it, thank you. I'll measure again more closely once we're back on the boat this weekend. I'll let you know!
  6. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Back on the boat... the transom door is 23" wide if the door hardware is removed. However, the appliance itself is 24" and it's not going through there in one piece. There's simply no way to get a new 24" wide appliance into the boat in once piece.

So back to my original question, does anyone have experience with disassembling a new washer and/or dryer and then reassembling them? I'm curious if one brand tends to lend itself better to this process...

Thanks!
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Whirpool apartment sized old school stackable comes apart pretty easy. What about looking into new front loaders, most of them will stack with a stacking kit and they make counter depth ones. That being said, you might be better off pulling a windshield and getting it out that way.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How deep is it? Just to make sure?
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Why are you planning to go to all this trouble given you said the existing machine still works? It doesn't look too bad from your photo. You can get appliance touch-up paint if needed. Your 20 year old machine will probably still outlast the new junk they build today. Besides, you can't hardly buy a washer/dryer today without waiting months to get it. You may wait even longer if you are particular about what make/model you want. I would spend my time and money elsewhere myself.
    chesapeake46 and MBevins like this.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree. If it ain’t broken don’t change it. I ve seen too many major appliances under 8 year old fail while some of the old Ones are still ticking.

plus disassembling the new ones will likely void the warranty
  11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I have to tell you , my 1987 Viking still has the original Kenmore stackers , we use them regularly, they just keep on ticking.
    Don't be in a rush to remove perfectly functioning appliances.
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

My Kenmore stacker is original to 1994 and still going strong (knock wood). The dryer is a little slow to get a big load of towels dry but I’m in no rush when I’m on the boat.
  13. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Okay, fair points on leaving well enough alone. Yes, the paint is looking old inside the dryer but I'll see what can be done with some appliance paint. Thanks for the suggestion!
  14. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I assume you are talking about inside the dryer drum. If it's real bad, you can take it apart and remove the drum. The drum can be either replaced or repainted with the baked on finish by a shop. You would be taking apart a new one anyways.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I had similar constraints. Old one piece unit with out via sawzall. Bosch 300 Series in two pieces came back to replace. The 300 has a 23.5" dimension.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Inside the drum? Who cares what the paint looks like, as long as it's not rusty.
  17. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Our 1988 Viking has the Kenmore stackables too and we use them regularly. The dryer lint screen was not locking in properly and would come loose with a bigger load at times. I was able to get a new OEM replacement lint screen and cover without problems just 2 weeks ago. Fit perfectly. Problem fixed.
    MBevins likes this.