Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

New VHF ?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Zud, Dec 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Zud

Zud Senior Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS All

The time is way past to to replace my VHF radio on the boat.

What (if any) is the difference between B&G V90 radios and Simrad RS 90 radios.

Any pros or cons ? Will order one set (radio, speaker,corded handset) for lower helm and a wireless handset for upper helm

Thanks,
    Zud
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I didn't know B+G was even still in business. I haven't seen any of their products on a yacht in well over a decade so I would skip them. Honestly would skip Simrad also (but would take them over B+G) and go straight to an ICOM.
  3. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Sure... Now I have to spend more time looking at ICOM radios. Using my above configuration any recommendations from your experience
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Navico owns Simrad, Lawrance and B&G (and others?).
    B&G is targeted for snail botes & snailing yachts, Lawrance for small fish boats and Simrad for larger fishing boats and motor yachts.
    The B&G and Simrad radio you mention are the same box, different brand trim.
    Both are excellent and expandable radio systems.
    Icom is popular and everybody likes them. None as expandable as the above sets.
    I feel the Simrad is just as fine a radio as the Icom.

I can't say that about Raymarine and other brands of radios.
  5. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Thanks for the replies...I can always count on you two for the scoop. I really like the idea of the main radio being able to handle more than one mic. I will still have the handheld portable as a back up. So the hunt continues
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is a down side; Many mics to one common box.
    Mother Nature and Murphy has a habit of teaming up against radio transmitters.
    Still not perfect odds but a lil improved would be two transceivers.

dual RS40s or RS40 & RS20 config would offer backup and use of the wireless hand remotes.
    BTY; the hand remotes will cover DSC , AIS and AP functions also with other Navico equipment.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Navico also owns C-Map.
  8. Zud

Zud Senior Member

two mics to the main box as well as the icom handheld portable for safety purposes...does that help allay Mother Nature and Murphy fears somewhat?
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Always had two separate vhf systems on board, would never configure my own boat around a single system even with multiple mic’s.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your safety level and needs are entirely up to you.
    I felt I needed bring my thought up, not to be a big nose but to be helpful.
    MN&M have been know to tap on me a few times thru the years.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We still have perfect working IC602 & 502s installed. Spare IC502 in a storage bin around here somewhere.
    I'm looking forward to moving the 602 upstairs and installing a RS40 below. The 502s go to my outboard boats.
    One of my customers has the RS40 with wireless handheld on his Hat. He luvs it.
  12. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Your safety level and needs are entirely up to you.
    I felt I needed bring my thought up, not to be a big nose but to be helpful.

Ralph so what you are saying is that i should have three individual radios on board
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The amount of radios on board are up to you.

Today's hand held radios are good for close operation but when you need to reach out and contact somebody a bit away and clearly, it will be the full power fixed rig with that quality stick that makes it.

If you cruise in busy areas one fixed and handheld could do, We cruise the Bahamas (every couple of years) and anchor every where. Two fixed, hot spare, dual 23' sticks and 2 handhelds work fine for us.

Our SSB got zapped many years ago. SatPhones are slowly getting less espensive. Just have not been able to pull that trigger on any of this.
    These are probably not required when cruising in your busy areas where I'm still thinking about them. Another example of how it's your decision.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Off to Christmas dinner.
    Merry Christmas to all..
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm back. Hope I did not type my last note (#13) to fast, short or confusing.

OMG, whole bottle (large) of wine, pile of man eating oysters and a sea food boil from the heavens.
    A bountiful day and I'm so stuffed I can hardly walk. Weather was perfect.
    :D:D:D
  16. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Now that sounds like a great way to end Christmas!
  17. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Keep the old one as a back up to the new one, and keep a hand held vhf working and ready to go....That is all you need IMO. Got to Defender marine and see what's in their clearance section and pic a name you know. Only two or three VHF mfgs' around as Ralph said they just get re-labled .
  18. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

W
    We had two ICOM-M604s for almost 10 years, very satisfied. Both developed some slight glitches during the last couple years or so, possibly from nearby lightning strikes (one fried a couple of nearby boats at the dock)... so even though they each still worked for about 99% of functions...

We replaced both last year with M605s, which came with their own GPS antenna. The newer radios also offer additional options available like AIS, but we already had all that in other equipment. So far, so good... but our time with the new ones is limited...

-Chris