Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

New to Yacht Forums with question about Tiara 38 Open

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by AndrewP, Feb 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AndrewP

AndrewP Guest

Considering a 2004 Tiara 38 Open with Cummins 6CTA8.3L engines. Would appreciate comments. Aside from other questions, did the 04 38's have helm and cabin reverse cycle A/C as standard equipment or was that an option? Will probably need to update electronics, as boat has 2004 Furuno Navnet Radar & GPS and Northstar 6000i Color GPS, with which I am not familiar. Had Furuno Navnet 3D, RD 33, Sirus weather, Simrad AP, two ICOM 504's, etc. on my Regulator and will probably go with Raymarine gear, as Furuno has a few glitches and is a bit of a chore to use. Will use the boat for bluefin tuna fishing in Mass Bay and around Cape Cod and maybe a couple of Hydro Canyon trips.
  2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I had a 2006 38' tts traded to me when it was less than a year old. I was unimpressed by its rough water capabilities, I actually ended up breaking the anchor locker forward bulkhead and another just behind the stateroom partition up front. As far as the AC is concerned, my cockpit unit didn't come installed from tiara, it was installed by the dealer.

I also found it to be a relatively loud boat, otherwise not a bad family boat for relatively calm waters.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I sea trialed a new 38' back in 2008. In 3-4 footers, one of the wettest boats I've run.
  4. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Agreed. I've never been aboard a boat with harder working wipers.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with the wetness. I never ran one in the ocean, however I got water on the windshield in the Intracoastal in a slow speed zone!!!
  6. AndrewP

AndrewP Guest

Thank you for quick replies.

Any suggestions for alternative boats in same size/price range? Want an express, not a convertible that handles the typical 3-4 foot waves in my area without drama around 25 kt. cruise.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've seen a lot more than 3-4 in your area when the wind blows from the NE, but that's another story. Take a look at the Cabo.