Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Apollonian

New to me 1999 Neptunus 62

Discussion in 'Neptunus Yacht' started by Swordfisherman, Jun 9, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Swordfisherman

Swordfisherman New Member

Hi folks, new to your group here. I have been searching everywhere in the internet for information about my new to me Neptunus 62. However I could not find any info other than boats for sale. I just traded my 2000 sea ray 400 db for this bigger boat. However i had to shell out another $ 350,000. for her. I loved the sea ray 400 db but it was too crampy whenever i have my 3 sons and their girlfriends on a trip. Also when you i was loaded with gas and water, it would not run on plane.

This Boat has new genny, cruise air ac, refurbished interiors, new refs etc... However the cat 3406e's have over 2,600 hours on them. The previous owner (friend) told me they sleeved one cylinder and had new rings installed.

We live in the Philippine islands and we dont really have good boat surveyors over here. On Sea trial with half tanks of fuel and half tank of water plus 10 people on board she topped 27 knots.

Does anyone know the hull speed of this boat? I like to run trawler speeds for economical reasons, plus i like to troll some lures for dinner.

Thanks in advance for those who would share some info on this boat.

Lits
  2. Swordfisherman

Neptunus isn't even listed in this forum. Did I make a mistake getting this boat ?
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think Neptunus is a well made boat so don't think it's a mistake. They're just a relatively low volume Canadian builder.
  4. Swordfisherman

Thanks for your thoughts and comments olderboater, much appreciated.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

At one time we had a Neptune forum, but it was discontinued after the new Florida-based distributor attempted to exploit our media. As OlderBoater said, no worries on buying a Neptunus. Good boats. They had world class interiors, but the floorplans were a bit busy.
  6. Swordfisherman

Thanks Admin. I will update you folks when i sail her home. Its about 400 nm from Manila to my home in Bacolod, Negros Island.
    I hope i would not encounter much issues. For now, the water maker refuses to turn on. Thanks again Admin. Looking forward to more info about this boat.
  7. gcsi

gcsi Member

3406 was / is one of the best engines Cat built in this range. The Achilles Heel is the Aftercooler, keep it clean. At 2600 hrs, assuming reasonable use, those engines are just getting warmed up.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

3406's are great motors and what morphed into the current C18's Caterpillar builds today. Having one sleeved bothers me a bit.....did they have a bad injector wash out a cylinder?

Neptunus builds a good boat. Hull speed is probably around 9 knots, but you have to find out for yourself. 1000 rpms and below will get you excellent fuel economy. You have to just slowly keep bringing the rpm's up and see where the speed levels out (slow speeds) and that's where your hull speed will be.
  10. Swordfisherman

gcsi, thanks. Cat did clean the after coolers last week.
  11. Swordfisherman

12. Swordfisherman

Thanks Capt J. The previous owner is not so very technical. He has a boat captain and 2 crews who ran the boat. I will check the service records. If i remember correctly captain said "lost compression"...
  13. Zud

Zud Senior Member

S...fisherman,

Please keep me informed as I think I'm in the market for a 1999 to 2004 56' Fly...Congrats on your new BOAT !!!
  14. Swordfisherman

Hi zud, yup I will update once in a while
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the 56' Fly, but have managed and put a lot of miles on 2 55' cabriolets (expresses) 2006/2007. They're a good running hull and with C15 Cats would cruise at 25-26knots, and I think the same hull they used for the 56' Fly. Series 80's which the 2006 had would cruise it at 24-25 knots.
  16. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Thanks Capt J, like any used peice of machinery there will be issues. From what i can deduce there are less (major, possible) issues with the Neptunus than the Azimut I was looking at. I like the Flybridge and probably will focus on something in the 2000 to 2004 era from Neptunus.
  17. JiminSouthlake

JiminSouthlake New Member

We purchased a 1997 55 flybridge about a year ago. It is our first boat. We have been on it full time since we purchased it. Took it from Virginia to Florida and the Bahamas over the winter. Now on the way to New York.

The Neptunus is very well built and has a great layout for full time use.

Customer service is very good. Responsive and knowledgable. We have no regrets with deciding on a Neptunus.
  18. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Jiminsouthlake,

Thanks for the reply
    Did you buy the boat formerly named Taurus?
    Unfortunately for you, you are now going to be my go to guy for questions in my search. JK ???
    Once we retire, we plan on spending many weeks at a time on the boat and will go south in the winter.
    Congrats on the boat and happy cruising

Zud
  19. JiminSouthlake

JiminSouthlake New Member

Hi Zud.
    Yes, we did buy Taurus. Great boat that is now named Plan B. We have updated a lot of the systems just due to their age and lack of use. We are fortunate that the original owner replaced the MAN engines with new Cat C12s in 2003. I have crawled through almost every inch of the boat over the last year and I am always impressed with the construction. We get about 1 mile per gallon at 9 kts and a little less than 1/2 mile per gallon at 18-20 kts.
    This is a great liveaboard boat. We can go slow and not burn much fuel or we can run hard to make bridges or take advantage of weather windows.
    Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.
    Jim
  20. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Jim,

I was on Taurus when she was berthed up in Chesapeake City a couple of years back. I thought she was a very nice boat but was not in the position to jump into it at that time. I'm glad you are using it like a boat of that type should be used.

You probably shouldn't have offered for me to ask questions, I have many !!!

Congrats again

Have fun

Dave