Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

New Post Owner - Small Project Questions

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Tight Lines, Aug 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

Long time listener - first time caller.

My wife and I took delivery of 43039 (1985) two weeks ago in Green Bay, WI, and cruised her home to Grand Haven, MI, in 6' following seas on Lake Michigan, day 1. Quite the learning experience. Freshwater boat, heated winter storage her whole life, clean survey and both Jimmys are 440+ compression at 900 hours. After an exhaustive search for an 80's - 90's diesel convertible, we couldn't be happier. Slim pickings in the rust belt for quality offshore boats.

I would appreciate help from the Posties on the forum with a few initial questions.

1. Replacement Anchor: the original Danforth is a rusty eyesore. Looking for suggestions for a modern replacement specifically sizing for overnights on the hook - sandy bottoms. We're also planning to give the rusty one a coat of paint and stow it down below for added coverage when cruising. 200' of chain in the locker. I would like to freshen up the old anchor as well as as the first few feet of chain. Paint/prep suggestions for this?

2. Shore water PSI. The seller mentioned that I needed to add a pressure regulator to bring in shore water. What is the correct PSI for this? My marina has city water that is approximately 55 PSI. Does the regulator need to be at the hose bib at the dock or can I attach it to the intake in the cockpit?

3. Portholes in the forward birth both leak like crazy breaking through waves. We are planning to delete and glass over when its time to send her to the paint booth. In the meantime, they need to be sealed. What is the best way to do this? I do not know if they are leaking at the fiberglass flange or between the rings.

4. Cup holders on the bridge. We're convinced that Russel and the team didn't drink coffee. Looking for suggestions/examples of how others have solved for this with an OEM look. Need a spot for the yeti mugs and handheld VHF that's not cheap or tacky.

3. 3 spoke wheel at the helm with black hub insert (make/model) that Post was installing on new builds before going belly up in 2011. Looking to replace the original destroyer wheel. Is there a way to install and raise the hight using the existing shaft? I would like to bring the wheel up 2-4" if possible.

4. Holes in the deck. The zodiac and aluminum cradle did not come with the boat. I have 16 1/4" holes that need to be filled. The balsa core is still dry. Can I use 606, scrape flat with a razor and put a little interlux mixed to match the current cream gelcoat color to solve for now?

I appreciate the insights and any tips that this group can share.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2021
    cleanslate and Brian Gillis like this.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Welcome to YF Tight Lines. Pretty Post! I reduced the size of your pic from 3400 pixels to 800 pixels so it will display better across various devices.
  3. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

1. Fortress FX-37. Find one lightly used
    2.Use an inline filter at the connection with hose fittings, should be fine
    3. 3M 4200
    4. Still working on this myself
    5. Lewmar makes a nice 3-spoke wheel that is concave and raises your hand position about 2"
    6. 3M 5200
  4. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

@Stainless45 - thank you. A few follow up questions.

1. Any suggestions for upgrading the hardware connecting to the chain?

2. Do you know what the shore water pressure needs to be dialed down to with the regulator?
  5. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

I would look for a stainless swivel to connect anchor to chain, there are some nice bullet shaped ones out there just be sure to match the size to your anchor shank thickness.

I've never heard of dialing down the dock water pressure, which is why I suggested the filter instead. Your plumbing should be able to handle the supply pressure but check throughout the boat for leaks. And ALWAYS shut the valve off when you leave the boat
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congrats on the new boat, looks good.
    Was Post still using Copper pipe and flared fittings in 1985 ?

Mine is an '80 and it has a regulator in the engine area where it comes together with the on board water and deck spigot.
    I don't know the pressure ratings tho.
    If no one else knows, I will have a look over the weekend
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  7. OutPost

OutPost Member

I have a regulator mounted under the gunnel as the very first thing dockside connects to. I have no idea what pressure it is set at. Now I feel like I have to know!

You may consider life calk for the holes - sandable and paintable and might be easier to remove as a temporary solution than 5200. Whatever you choose if it was me I’d make that my first priority and I’d probably have a tarp over my deck until I was sure I had it under control.

Previous owner put a wooden cup holder on bridge with multiple cup holes. Finish matches rest of teak trim and Blends in well. I’ll try to find a picture.

Welcome and she’s a beaut Clark!
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  8. OutPost

OutPost Member

Cup holder

B260EAF9-303E-4118-93E5-C1FBE7F404AC.jpeg
  9. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

4 - Cupholders big enough to hold a Yeti are hard to find. The teak cup holder that I had was much too small for modern thermal cups. I used folding stainless ones that the Yeti fit in on my Viking, alas they do not seem to be available anymore except through Chinese "Amazon". Haven't brought myself to try buying from them yet. The US ones (you can find in Amazon) have sliding arms (not the pivoting ones of my earlier ones) and are on the Post now, but won't let a Yeti fit all the way down to the base.

These are available from several mfgrs and sources

upload_2021-8-12_14-3-33.png

These are the only ones that will hold my Yeti. No one has them, this mfgr doesn't reply when asked about them, only offer up the other model. Alibaba used to list them, but they don't come up in search anymore either.

upload_2021-8-12_14-4-20.png

-Greg
  10. Treads

Treads New Member

Gorgeous Post, welcome to the group. Our 91 46' Post has a pressure regulator in the bilge, downstream from the dockside water inlet valve, and prior to the tie-in to the fresh water plumbing. What the regulator is set to is unknown, however I will see if there's a tag still on it.
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

My water pressure regulator is rated at 25 thru 75 PSI. I do not have a pressure gage on the system so I can't help further.

FWIW - Mine is all flare fitting copper tubing with most excellent pressure tho.
  12. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Welcome!
    Short answers cause I have to type. in Bahamas out islands.

Sandy bottom / grass?
    SS Delta w 30' SS Chain w 200' 1" line braided to chain. Go to EZanchorpuller.com . They have a new SS winch on deck. Clean up anchor locker and use it for clean dry space. I have used the old one for 15 years and will buy the new one soon. USA.

Cup holder. Teakwood, varnish to match, make top fit your stuff and 3m velcro to smooth surface.

Pressure reg. Mine same as Chesapeake. Adjust to 50psi. If you have the street input follow it into your water feed. You might have one below.

I fill holes with West system epoxy and paint w Awlgrip Oyster White brush.

Rest of the advice from others is good.
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I use a small Jabsco 45 psi regulator in white plastic that I've had for more than four year. It's simple to use, just screw it onto either the dock valve or your boat's inlet and you are done. I keep it attached to my hose. It goes with us where ever we go.

I would not mess around with any type of goo on the deck. I would use west system asap. Make that and your number one priority, IMO. No water into the deck! port windows are a concern also. I'm sure they leak when at rest in the rain. Just not as noticeable. I would use 5200, not 4200.

As far as paint, Interlux Perfection Oyster White is great stuff. Easy to find and work with. Simple 2:1 ratio. I did my entire cabin top and forward deck with it , roll and tipped myself. Looks great even going on three years now, and never covered always out in the elements.

Boat really looks great! You did well. Enjoy!