Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

New Member Who Owns Hatts

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Freebird, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Freebird

Freebird Member

I ran across this forum while Googling for information on a 12V71N. I currently own a 1974 Hatteras 58TC as well as a 1965 Hatteras 41DC.

Both are located on the Tennessee river, the 58 is on Nickajack Lake and the 41 is on Watts Bar. I didn't mean to be a 2 Hatt owner, but things just worked out that way. The 58 is of the diamond in the rough variety, and I bought it to replace the 41 which is bristol. I brought it from Palmetto, FL to its current location this past July and decided to leave it at a marina on Nickajack instead of bringing it all the way back up to Watts Bar which is near where I live.

I currently have both boats for sale and will keep whichever doesn't sell first. As much as I enjoy the 41, I hope it sells first as I would really like to follow through with my original plan to bring the 58 back to the same level the 41 already is. For some reason I can't seem to shake the idea of living on the 58 if/when I ever retire. With that in mind, I'd really like to end up with an early to mid-90's 70CPMY having spent a good amount of time on one.

Anybody out there with a 70CPMY who wants to do a two for one trade?:D
  2. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

Welcome to YF Freebird!
  3. Freebird

Freebird Member

Thanks for the welcome CaptainSilva. That's a mighty fine 32' Wellcraft Sportfisher you have pictured in your avatar. Never saw one with an enclosed bridge like that before. Is that a one-off custom?:D
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Freebird and welcome to YF!

I can relate to your situation. Been there. I called it being "two-boat poor". It's not necessarily the cost, it's the time it takes away from doing the things that support your habit... like going to work!

The 58' is a great boat and makes a good live-aboard. We had one in the family for years and I lived on it many times, usually because my family was driving me nuts.

In the bang-for-the-buck category, a hard boat to beat. Of course, there is that dilemma of backing down a slip that you never had a problem with before. ;)
  5. Freebird

Freebird Member

Thanks YF admin guy, like I've said before, bad things happen to good people with good credit and little self-restraint. :D

Nice place you got here, but I'm surprised I never ran across it before.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That's hilarious! Have to remember that... but of course, that means I have to forget something else. Kelly Bundy syndrome, you know.

That's because you're too busy working on boats! Get outa the bilge and log-on. ;)
  7. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

Haha yeah it is! She's all of 32' that's for sure! I keep that avatar there for "motivation!"
  8. Freebird

Freebird Member

I assume it was obvioius I peeked at your personal profile to see you have a 32' Wellcraft.

My first twin engine boat was an '83 26' Wellcraft Sedan Bridge. I've never seen another one, but it was a neat little boat with straight MerCruiser inboards and an Onan generator.

Gee, I guess it's okay to talk about Wellcrafts in the Hatteras section. :rolleyes: :D
  9. moevsa

moevsa New Member

I'm looking at buying a '71 58' YF .. transport from Savannah area to Lake Lanier (GA). The transport isn't an issue, except for the bridge removal, which makes me nervous. What experience can you share?
  10. Freebird

Freebird Member

No offense, but have you looked at the water levels in Lanier lately?

I bought a Sea Ray 345 Sedan Bridge off Lanier several years ago and had to remove the bridge to bring it back to Knoxville, TN. It's really no big deal, but it's very time consuming to mark everything properly so it all goes back the way it came off.

I've never taken the bridge off a 58, but it's just a fiberglass shell that's not that heavy. Seems to me four guys could do it, but you may want to contact Hatteras directly to get their input. That's one thing I can say for Hatteras that I can't say for other boat manufacturers I've dealt with. You can rest assured they will still have somebody at the factory who was there when that boat was built, and they'll be able (and willing) to answer any questions you may have.

You may want to verify the overall height of that 58 without the bridge if your transport company hasn't done that already. That's still going to be a tall boat to get into Lanier. Heck, take it north to Hales Bar on the Tennessee where they have water, and we'll park 'em side by side. Unless you own a lakefront home, it would save you a ton of money vs marinas on Lanier.

Seriously, it's only 90 minutes or so from Atlanta and you'd have access to the entire world from there. Besides, who wants to run a 58YF in circles on a dried up duck pond? :D
  11. Silverado6x6

Silverado6x6 New Member

I am in talks with a seller down in Key West that has a 1968 41" Hatteras for sale, it would be my first boat purchase ever.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Silverado,
    When I first read your post I thought "what is he nuts?". Then I saw where you're from which prompted me to read your profile and I have to say "go 4 it". That's a great old boat that will undoubtedly need a ton of work which I have a feeling you're up to. If you were from the lower 48 I'd say your wife will divorce you half way through the project, but given where you're from she's most likely tough as nails (and probably sweet as pie also) or long gone. DK how you'll get her to Alaska, but keep a pen handy because I think there will be a NY Times best seller coming out of that transport whether by land or water. Hope you keep us posted.
  13. Captddis

Captddis Guest

Not a bad looking boat Freebird. I bet it is very efficient on one engine.
    I feel your pain, I am a three boat owner!
  14. Silverado6x6

Silverado6x6 New Member

Thank you for the words, my wife supports my dreams totally, I started my own thread on this.
  15. Silverado6x6

Silverado6x6 New Member

I thought I should bump this thread up a bit and also help Freebird in selling his 58' Hat.

I have been in loose communication with Freebird though not in the last month and I am willing to take a gamble on his boat, maybe he will show up here again and tell the story of Freebird.

I actually had a responce in a positive way about getting another motgage on our house so I can buy Freebird, she sorta approved it when I told her that a lot of it would also go into home improvement projects.;)