Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Furuno

New Hatteras Yachts at Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by JWY, Nov 9, 2015.

1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

ADMIN EDIT: This thread contains posts stripped from a thread titled "Slow Ft. Laud Boat Show".

"... The new 70' Hatteras MY was there. Very nice boat from the outside, I didn't look at the inside...."

Quit while you're ahead.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

??? I don't quite follow you. It shares very similar lines with their new 100'. It's a VERY big 70'. Tall hull, looked to have a large flybridge, judging from the size of the hardtop viewing it from the dock, nice aft deck. It had clean lines that were proportionate. As for the interior, someone liked it enough to order it and pay for it as it was sold before it was built. Hatteras has always had several interior wood color choices. There were a few groups of people on the boat looking at it and I didn't feel like waiting for them to get off so I could look at it. Compared to some of the other new builds in that size with all sorts of funky hull windows and goofy curves and such, I liked it's more traditional look. It was modern looking yet stayed true to Hatteras' lines.

As for an attendance issue, I think the change of date of the show hurt attendance, but people will adjust for next year. Another customer of mine is in the market for a late model 60-63' MY but is on a trip on his 100' MY right now, and normally would go to the show. But the trip was scheduled a long time ago. He has a house 1 mile from the show on Lake Sylvia and wants another small boat so him and his wife can take it out themselves and easily get in and out of restaurants.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Capt J: Not sure what you didn't follow. Obviously I had some negative thoughts about the interior. The only thing you said relevant to my comment was that someone liked it enough to order it and there are options for doing a different interior for someone else. Duh.

I don't mean to be snarky but then again you didn't see the interior and I did. Of course everything is a matter of taste. See the ugly rogues thread. Not that the interior would warrant a place with that nomenclature but I was trying to give a short answer comment to your post without being overly negative on the boat because of the interior choices made by whomever.

Judy
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Like I said, I have not seen the interior in person. Judging by the pictures on the website, I don't like the interior at all. The exterior which I did see in person I like and think looks good. I'm sure other ones built won't have the all white-ish interior.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If it's the interior they've got on their web page it's just so un-Hatteras like. Not sure what possessed them. I'm not sure it would bother me as much if it was on some other brand and style of boat. Is that what it was Judy? With the white, white and more white?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

According to people at Hatteras, yes, it's very modern and white, with white washed oak flooring.
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Yes, Brett, part of it was the white on white and yet more white, but also part of it was the pseudo-modern/faux modern contrivance. White plastic steps? See, I did better leaving at abbreviated comment of "quit while you're ahead" so as not to sabotage the thread.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

No, the reporting and opinions are good. I'd love to hear more on boats seen new at the show. I've talked about that interior before with others. It's as if they're trying to be something they're not. It's not your grandfather's Hatteras. Well, look where that them got Oldsmobile. Still rated as the worst advertising theme ever.

Certain boats you see, you expect some modernistic decoration and may like it or not. This interior is not what you expect from Hatteras and I haven't heard anyone yet who likes it. However, if the person who bought it likes it, then more power to him.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe the 60' MY interior is modern for Hatteras compared to most previous Hatteras. I really like the 60' MY interior and think they did a great job on that one. It's a perfect combination of white, modern and wood to balance it all out. Now, the 70' from the other hand I don't like judging by the pictures. But if they had a lot of wood on the walls and various places to balance out the other white stuff it may look good.

I looked at the Viking 75' MY and it too was a bit modern and had a lot of whites, but had a good amount of wood, that balanced it out very nicely and looked very nice.