Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

New Electronics

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by motoryachtlover, Feb 3, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I am going to have the electronics updated on my boat this summer when it gets laid up for Hurricane season. I favor Garmin and don’t look forward to learning another system but I am more about robust construction, reliability and ease of use. What are the forums opinions about what brands and which models within the brands. One feature I do want is the current weather on the screen. Any recommendations for an installer in the Stuart area. Thanks for your time.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, stick with Garmin. I used a marine electronics guy in Stuart about 6 months ago that was referred to me by the Hinckley yard to diagnose an issue I had on old E 120's, he was prompt, fast, reasonably priced and good. Scott marine electronics his phone number is: area code (seven seven two) 2 one 5-5210
  3. motoryachtlover

Thank you very much
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve always like Garmin as their products usually have a very user friendly interface. Never liked Raymarine...

Furuno is something I am considering for my own boat. I didn’t like the older Navnet but really like the Navnet 3D we have on the boat I run. It s the black box version with 2 large monitors (enclosed skylounge) and it a very nice system

Just make sure you don’t get talked into installing way more system that you really need for YOUR abuse. I ve seen people spend over $10-15k for features they don’t even use or need
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. motoryachtlover

Do you find the Furuno intuitive? Was there some complaint a couple of years ago about the furuno’s crashing?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The previous generation Navnet, no. Very unintuitive and would crash every couple of days.

The interface of the Navnet 3D black box is much better especially when used with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I really like it. Note sure how intuitive the latest Navnet Touch is.

I ve had crashing issue with the black box which had a problem. About to send it to Furuno for repair. I bought a used one from Max Marine Electronic in Pompano and it s been flawless so far.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I hate raymarine and they have the most issues out of any electronics I deal with. I'm not a huge fan of the new Furuno navnet 3d touch. I find the charts aren't all that detailed and you have to go through 8 different menu's to change one little thing, not intuitive at all, I don't think.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Good to know as I haven’t used the touch version. I like the charts with the Navnet 3D. NOAA in the use and original Explorer for the Bahamas
  9. Alan Oakley

Alan Oakley New Member

I just recently had all new Simrad Electronics, radar, and autopilot installed in our boat. This equipment is fantastic, its super easy to use and I like the fact that the Evo 3 screen can be seen with polarized sunglasses.
  10. motoryachtlover

Thank you both for your input. At this point I am sticking with Garmin
  11. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

Big Furuno fan here. I had a newer Garmin as back up unit but recently removed and installed a fourth Furuno display. I have TZT Blackbox as well as a TZT 14 on one network. I have a pair of the TZT2 mfd's on another network. Couldn't be happier. The stuff is commercial grade. I found the Garmin easy to use but not as robust and capable as the Furuno.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We have been fitting ONWA nav gear to commercial fishing boats for a good few years. Basic last-gen Garmin stuff made in China and at over 2/3 the price of premium brands.

Fishermen are real good at destroying pretty goods and these seem to stand up to their abuse; the rocks don't change position very often, historically.

As tech is changing so fast these days, I still feel a little iffy about investing huge amounts into one brand/unit. Always had Garmin stuff before.

http://onwamarine.com/kp-1299/
  13. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

Looks more like Furuno knock offs to me. I like to call my tech support team in Camas WA. Going to be a tough tech support call to Hong Kong.
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've never managed to get any 'tech support' in any of the 70-odd countries I've worked in. That's why I still use paper charts as my 1st nav, electronics just play-toys really.