Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

new designer

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Rbhussey, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Rbhussey

Rbhussey New Member

Hello
    I was wondering whether people could give me some advice and assistance... Im looking into going into yacht design both interior and exterior. Im 17 but am at college studying technical theatre so lighting, sound etc... But I've always been driven towards design and in the last year or so have been driven to yacht design. Im in the uk, so If anyone has any tips or advice on how to get involved in the community or what to do interms of courses etc would very, very much appreciate it! :)
    Thank you! :)
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

3. LLC

LLC New Member

The Solent Institute course is very much focused on design and much more small yachts and sailing oriented.
    At Southampton University there is a much more academically based course (BEng, MEng and MSc.) in naval architecture with the possibility of focussing on yachts.
    Although the institute focusses more on design than engineering (compared to the proper naval architecture course at Southampton University) but that does not mean it talks about styling. In short the answer is that there is no real course which can prepare you for Yacht Styling.
    Coventry last September organized conference on Yacht Styling with the Royal Institution of Naval Architects (The Royal Institution of Naval Architects -RINA) so they might look into the styling side of things.

Personally I am a bit wary of styling houses and their design ideas for super yachts, I prefer the proper naval architects and that does not mean the designs need to be conservative (Predator for instance) but that is personal.
    Have a look at various styling houses "about" section, you can usually find out what background the stylists have.