Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

New deckhand, crew position, large yacht

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Nelson12345, Jul 4, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

Hi I am new to the sailing world , and a friend and I want to get deckhand jobs on a yacht . I am only 16 and had planed to take the STWC 95 BST and go sailing next summer . I am a hard worker and I am wondering if I will even be able to get a job at 17 . are there any other qualifications that I will need , please help me if you can Thank you .
  2. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

can some one pleas help me with this
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1) Get an education
    2) Work in a marina during summer break
    3) Spend as much time as possible on and around boats
    4) get more education
    5) get more education
  4. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

that is the plan ,I intend to do this as a summer job . I would like to know if there is any thing else I need other thatn STWC95 BST and reading a lot of books on sailing . how much could I expect to get paid as a deckhand, I want to do this in order to save money for school , and to learn the skills that come with it. Thank you
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

To be honest, I doubt you'll find a job on a yacht. If there are any tour/dinner type boats around you, go talk to them an volunteer for the time being. If you're a hard worker, they will hire you.
    The yacht industry isn't really seasonal and most captains are looking for someone who will commit for at least a year. Your age would also be a factor.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nelson,
    Just reread your orig. post and noted the multi references to sailing. It should be noted that most sailboats don't pay their crews (or don't pay real well) until you get into the very serious yachts. What you might be looking at are volunteers. If this is what you are looking at it's great experience in boathandling that will serve you well. You'll also make some good connections. Even if your family isn't a member of a local yacht club drop by. Speak with a few people and maybe the commodore. Ask if there is anything you can do around there as a volunteer. You'll end up on some boats, probably end up making some money and having a great summer.
  7. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

ok I have been talking to the friend that wants to go with me, and we have decided to do this over a 2 year period . Then take a gap year when I turn 18 will that help, and why don't the crews of sailing yachts get paid realy well?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That sound like a pretty good plan. The last question is too easy a straight line for a motorhead, so I'll leave it alone.
  9. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

can you explain why sailing yacht crews don't get paid well . I do nmot mind working on a motor yacht.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"can you explain why sailing yacht crews don't get paid well ."

Probably because he was referring to little owner operated sailboats that only crew for races on weekends and such or look for volunteer crew for repositioning.

Sailing yachts in the size and type of operation that require professional crew pay very well, just like their motoryacht equivalents. They also require professional sailing skills for the deck crew and generally require a higher standard of training and knowledge in controls and hydraulics on the part of the engineer.
  11. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

ok so what do I need in the way of training?
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very well put Marmot. Where a kid may be able to crew (handle lines, keeping things neat, etc.) on a 40' to 65' motoryacht (mainly for a family friend) a sailboat will require a lot more experience before you're worth anything and there's a lot more opportunity to get hurt so you volunteer to get that experience.
  13. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

what typ of ships should I volunteer on .I plan on geting the STWC 95 BST and I have been reading the ASA sailing fundamentas .and intend to do some work on local freeshwater sailboats .is that all I need to do?Thank you
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

At your age I would suggest putting your name on the lists of volunteer crew at local yacht clubs or marinas, take the STCW if you like but right now it will make little difference other than personal development. Right ow I would save that money for tuition at a maritime school which will provide STCW training as part of the curriculum.

Sailing as volunteer crew on a sailboat will be a perfect introduction to working as part of a crew as well as give you the vocabulary and some exposure to the basics of seamanship.

If you really want to pursue a maritime career, contact Great Lakes Maritime Academy and ask them a million questions. Finish high school, have fun in the meantime and look at getting formal training. Even if you decide you don't want to go to sea (it ain't for everyone), it will be a great exercise in "character building."
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nelson,
    You might notice a common theme forming here. The is no more running away to join the merchant marine. Without an education you're no good to anybody. Some other schools to look into are the Kings Point Merchant Marine Acadamy and Ft. Skylar MMA in NY. If you are less geared toward formal education or finances are an issue there is also the US Navy where you'll get great training, but get that HS diploma first.
  16. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

thank you for your help I am working to get my diploma , and I would like to get a degree in maritime archaeology , I was just looking at this for the year I get out of highschool as a way to get some money for school . I would like to have the experiance .I was just planing on doing somthing like this before college . and I thought it might be a good way to pay for a house later on .thank you for yor help.
  17. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

May I suggest taking a 'learn to sail' course in your state to start sailing right away? There are US Sailing/ASA affiliated schools that offer beginner courses; for both theory and on-the-water practice. There should be community boating centers in Ohio that are not costly. NYCap123 and Marmot offered good advice; I would like to add a few of my suggestions.

I would recommend you to learn to sail with a small keelboat first. A Laser or a daysailer sloop would be perfect to get the 'feel' of it. A smaller boat would be less forgiving in the case of sail trim and steering mistakes. If you have time to spare during the summer, why not go for a weekly course or two. Afterwards, you might find it easier to get into the commercial side with this past experience.

Lastly, being a book freak, I know the ASA book you mentioned. It is written in concordance with the ASA course syllabus so it lacks the 'practical' explanations you might need to remember. I would recommend 'Sailing the Basics' by Dave Franzel if you want to read a better one.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  18. Nelson12345

Nelson12345 New Member

bottom line, if I follow all of the suggestions posted will I be able to do this for a gap year before college, and make some money towords my schooling? I was thinking that this might be a good way to pay for other things to such as a house or somthing like that ? thank you for all of your help .
  19. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Since we haven't met you in person, it's hard to give a guarantee, but there are plenty of people who do just that.