Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking

New Constellation owner-CCC insignia with arrow

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by St. Valentine, Apr 22, 2014.

1. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

I am the proud, new, soon-to-be owner of a 57-foot Constellation. I've looked for years and finally settled on the right one. I have many questions but I'll limit it here to just one. The CCC insignia with the arrow on the bow is missing, as is the case most of the time. I've found a place I think has a pair. Were the originals gold or silver? I want to be accurate in the restoration.

Also, if you have a link to a place to get these, I would appreciate it. I found one but they're a little pricey.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Congrats on the new-to-you Connie. chrisparts.com in Florida is the only source I know of. I have seen them in both gold and silver. They may have changed from year to year. What year is your new Chris?

Edit: I just did some quick research. It's amazing how many of these boats are missing the CCC arrows. I'd say only around 1/3 of them still have the insignia's. Of those that have them: Gold seems to be the color.
  3. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Thanks, Eric. Mine is a 1970. I have the hull number. Even got the info on it from the Mariners Museum. Any idea how many 57' Connies were made in 1970 and which one mine was?
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Phil, You may want to invest in the book: Chris Craft - The Essential Guide by Jerry Conrad. I have a copy at my office. I can look your boat up tomorrow. What is your hull # ?
  5. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Thanks. It's CAF-57-2007A. Obviously, the 57 means 57-foot but I'm not sure what the rest of it means.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hi Phil, Here is the info you wanted.

Attached Files:

7. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Thanks for that. Any reason why they list 1970-1972 instead of the individual year like the rest? It's no big deal but I really would like to know how many were made in 1970 and it appears to be unknowable.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I have CAF-57-2015F here at our dock for sale. She was reportedly built in 1971.
    Here is some interesting info about the letter at the end of the hull #
    CHRIS CRAFT Plant letter designations (from the Chris craft Commander Club website)

At the end of the Hull Number, the last letter explains where the boat was produced :
    A - Algonac, MI
    C - Cadillac, MI
    D - Salisbury, MD
    F - Pompano, FL
    H - Holland, MI
    K - Caruthersville, TN
    N - Cortland, NY (before 1969)
    N - Edenton, NC (after 1968)
    R - Roamer, Holland, MI
    S - Stratford, Ontario, CAN
    T - Chattanooga, TN
    V - Cortland, NY (after 1968)
    W - Hayward, CA
    Z - Fiumicno, Italy
  9. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Great. That confirms mine was built at Algonac. It was number 2007 so I assume it was the 7th built in 1970. All I'm missing, to satisfy my curiosity, is how many were built in 1970.

It's amazing what you can find when you start digging around. I found that my boat was first owned by one of the guys who started NASA. Pretty cool history.