Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Cross

New Coast Guard Vessel?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jan 9, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I think our Coast Guard (and perhaps our Navy) should have a few of these vessels.

Ocean Eagle 43

2. brian eiland

Ocean Eagle 43 - Nigel Irens Design

https://cmn-group.com/products-and-s...cean-eagle-43/
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

We already do, an autonomous sub-seeker; the Sea Hunter, developed under a DARPA program. There are several variants to the platform, including coastal reconnaissance.

Attached Files:

4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Saw it on 60 Minutes last night, plus other drone activities being developed for warfare......sigh
  5. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

If it's beautiful in a concept, the armed forces will probably make it less beautiful in implementation. The p-51 being a notable exception from the past. If you are into something because it's visually stunning adoption by the armed forces will ruin the thrill.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, I am a 38 fan.
  7. brian eiland

Come to think of it I have seen little references to that vessel, but it must have just gone over my head,...or memory....ha...ha.

There were 2 items on the Ocean Eagle design that I did NOT see on the DARPA design,...a helicopter pad, and the very dedicated RIB launch system at the stern. Many years ago when the Coast Guard was looking for design submissions for a new coastal patrol boat I made suggestions that they consider a multihull form, more specifically a Lock Crowther catamaran design. They would have nothing to do with any multihull designs at that time!

But I do remember that their was one very specific feature they required, and that was the integration of the RIB launching and recovery system

I'll see if I can find a photo of that Crowther design
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. brian eiland

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
  9. brian eiland

Wonder how many 'thousands' of these we could have for the price of ONE littoral combat ship?
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You have to understand that the USCG is a largely conservative group that has typically been treated (in regards to budgets) as the proverbial red-headed step child amongst the other US armed forces and are highly resistant to promoting change. They are risk adverse and will only take on proven concepts, as they do not want to champion a new product that may eventually fail in the matching to their mission profile, causing unwanted consternation and scrutiny by US Senate Acquisition reviewers.

And the typical Mission Profile for the average USCG Cutter or Patrol vessel is 80 - 90% loiter, at speeds less than 8 knots. Endurance and crew features are highly important to them.
  11. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

On top of that, reliability is high on their list of priorities. Unlike a navy that can plan missions around weather constraints the coast guard has to go into heavy weather to rescue civilians. A multihull has to be very stoutly built to be relied upon under those conditions.
  12. brian eiland

Good points,
    Brian
  13. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

There have been many cases where the final selection for Coast Guard or Naval vessels was not the real best fit or solution, as these types of procurement activities have many layers attached to the decision makers. Political pressure, shipyard survivability, economic and job prospects are just a few. At times it becomes a sort of witches cauldron, with many competing factions trying to stir the pot. And the process can get rather extended.

I am amazed at some of the tired vessels that the men and women of the USCG are forced to operate in offshore waters, some with 40 years of hard sea time on their hulls. The USA can do better, but until they change their processes, these procurements usually go down the same path as they have for decades. There is a better picture on the smaller craft, like under 40', the procurement activities are more fluid and they are getting more modern and unique solutions.
  14. brian eiland

I saw this same bullsh__ occurring with Littoral Ship program
  15. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

And you see today how well that's worked out for them
  16. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I've had the opportunity to attend both Independence and Freedom class Littoral vessels as a consultant for coating failures in their machinery spaces in the last 18 months and while both Austal U.S. and Marinette Marine construct and fit out these vessels with either MTU 8000 series, Colt Pielstick or Rolls Royce G.T . main propulsion plants, the common denominator that I heard the engineering dept. heads complain about were the unreliable Isotta Fraschini generator plants. How in the world Fincantieri of North America won the contracts to supply the generator and PMS for these vessels is beyond reason? Both class of vessels are equipped with four generator plants each and apparently the Chief's can barley keep two in running order with PMAV's. I do believe that the other units under construction will still have the Issotta's installed even though they've proven to be highly unreliable.