Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

| A&R | 67.9M | "AVIVA" | 2007 |

Discussion in 'Abeking & Rasmussen Yacht' started by Yacht News, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

2. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

This morning, I received an image from someone with a good eye for unusual yachts. He didn't seem to know much about the build, but wanted to know how he could get a job on it. Looks like he's snapped the first pics of Aviva!

Attached Files:

3. Yacht News

Well, now that i have seen a closer picture, i can see that she is clearly...'different' from contempory designs. The straight bow is the most different feature. I am not so sure that it suits her. Mabe Aviva III would have looked better if she had a vertical mast to match the vertical Wally-like bow.
  4. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Carl,
    Aviva III's bow design is somewhat unusual.
    Looks like an "understated expedition-style".
    But then again ... what do I know?
    Arnie
    :confused:
  5. YachtForum

Arnie,

In year's past, private yachts were quite a bit smaller then the behemoths being launched today. Most of them were destined for native waters, with only a few big enough (and brave enough) to cross the pond. Enter: Dockwise, but that’s another story.

As yachts have increased in size, so have our expectations. We want to travel far, but getting there isn’t always a pleasant trip. Recently, a few designs have bucked the aesthetic trend in favor of function, in search of a way to work with waves as opposed to fighting them. A most recent example of this would be the Craig Loomes designed Earthrace vessel and I’ll expand a little on this…

A conventional (flared) bow design attempts to displace oncoming waves. As a flared bow submerges into an oncoming wave, water is displaced outwards. This results in deceleration and vertical forces that add resistance to the hull’s forward motion. This also creates lift, raising the bow out of the water. As the wave passes, a trough follows and the hull looses lift and falls in search of buoyancy. This is called pitching and in extreme conditions it can be violent. Stabilizers can help reduce pitching, but only to a certain degree.

In contrast, piercing bows (aka: fine bows) favor silhouetting a wave, or submersion. By going “thru” a wave, as opposed to over them, deceleration and vertical forces are reduced. The result is far less pitching and ultimately… a smoother ride with more consistent speed. But… it’s a much wetter ride!

On yachts the size of yester-year, the amount of freeboard was simply not sufficient to overcome the drenching a fine-bow would create. But with the size of today’s super yachts, coupled with the trend toward high freeboard, expedition-like bows in recent years, a piercing hull form can produce better performance without the need to run windshield wipers 24/7!
  6. BremenSpotter

BremenSpotter New Member

Seen today at Abeking & Rasmussen. Does anyone know the owner?

Attached Files:

7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yachtforums.

That is the same boat as posted in the first post, I would guess it was taken from the ferry or next to it.
  8. YachtForum

Hello and welcome to YachtForums...

We generally do not discuss owners or their businesses unless it is otherwise public knowledge. Generally, we try focus on the yachts. Thanks for a closer image of Aviva!
  9. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Carl,
    Thanks for the thorough explanation on bow design.
    Hope we can get an official news release from A & R, maybe even some interior photos.
    (Of course, possible owner privacy concerns prevent me from expecting too much.)
    Arnie
    :)
  10. Yacht News

The more i see this yacht the more I think that i am liking her. The design seems to be growing on me.
  11. Yacht News

The Abeking & Rasmussen m/y Aviva III seems to have been on her first set of trials late last month.
  12. blazeboss

blazeboss New Member

what a uniqe design

carl didnt the last avviva have a helicopter pad does this one and was the ist one salvaged froma fire.Also any interior shots in the forseeable future?
  13. Yacht News

The original Aviva did not have a helipad, at least not to my knowledge. After the tragic fire and when she was sold in 2003 i think it was, she recieved a helipad during the 18 month refit at the Vancouver yard in Canada.
  14. YachtForum

Interior shots and/or a YF review is unlikely. We were lucky to be supplied with the premiere press release, but I am unsure if further coverage will be allowed. On that note, I have to bow-out (pun intended). I'll be on a business trip for the next week. Lars & Kevin are here if you need assistance. :)

Best to all!

Carl
  15. tempura62

tempura62 New Member

Aviva in Barcelona

Just 10 days out of Bremen, the new Aviva arrived today at Barcelona for some maintainance (see pictures). My question is: does anyone knows who the owner could be? They didn't want to tell me here. Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

tempura62,
    WELCOME to YachtForums!
    Thanks also for the wonderful pics of Aviva.
    She looks so stunning up close.
    I assume if the shipbuilder doesn't want to share info on the owners, it's probably due to privacy issues.
    Arnie
    :)
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Thanks for the great pics Tempura.

As to your question: As has been mentioned here before we generally do not discuss owners or their businesses unless it is otherwise public knowledge. Generally, we try focus on the yachts.
  18. BruceD

BruceD New Member

As a novice, I've got to ask the experts - would Aviva's bow be an asset to Athena - or is it not possible?

Bruce D
  19. Yacht News

20. BruceD

BruceD New Member

Yes - is it possible on a s/y?

BruceD