Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

Need new air conditioner

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by WindsorRoamer, Feb 6, 2007.

1. WindsorRoamer

WindsorRoamer New Member

Anyone still lurking around these parts? :confused:

Well, after messing around with a finicky air conditioner for the last few summers I have decided it is time to put in a new (or refurbished) system. My questions are as follows:

1.) How big of a unit do I need?...I have been told everywhere from 11,000 to 24,000 btu! I think one vent/duct in the 'stern salon' and one in the main salon will do just fine...

2.) The current system is located under the v-birth, port side. Where are most people locating theirs?

3.) Does anyone know the best place to buy a new or good used machine and installation kit?

Thank-you in advance.

Jonathan
  2. 9lives

9lives Member

Our AC unit is located in the cabinet at the end of the galley table. It is a 16,000 btu and is not capable of meeting the needs of cooling the boat on a sunny 90degree day. We plan on adding a single 12-16000 unit for the salon this winter. I have not decided upon whether we locate it the bilge or behind the port wall below the deck. Locating it in the bilge is not quite the issue for explosion with the diesels as it might be with a gas scenario.

We have found that shading the windows effectively is just as important as anything to reducing the cooling load. When we installed new sun blocking curtains we were very surprised at the improvement.
    BTW our boat is a 41 Regal if you are trying to compare needs.
    Good Luck
    Mark
  3. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Need units also

I need to find units for my boat but the person I talk to is outrages in price. Anyone know anyone in the Annapolis/Deale area of Maryland?
  4. WindsorRoamer

WindsorRoamer New Member

9lives...thank you for your response.

Does anyone know what they mean by 'Cool-left' or 'Cool-right'...I found a good price on 16,000BTU Mermaid units, but not sure of the difference between them.