Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Westport

Need advice on Viking deck repair

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Robert Vandeuse, Jul 21, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Robert Vandeuse

Robert Vandeuse New Member

We have a soft deck developing on our 40' 1981 Viking and are seeking advice on how the the repair should be accomplished. Viking has suggested that the water intrusion has occured through the pulpit and/or windlass mounting hardware. The soft deck is local to the forward deck near ther heel of the pulpit. We would like to preserve the gel coat pattern on the deck if practical.

Does anyone have suggestions on how this repair could or should be performed? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.
  2. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

There are two ways to skin this cat. I have done it both ways.

The first but not always the best because you will have to paint the deck, find the extent of the rot by knocking on the deck with a hard plastic hammer. You will hear the "hollow" sound where it is soft. Mark out the area and get a skill saw. Set the saw for about 1/4" & cut the deck :eek:

Peel up the fiberglass & keep the piece. Dig out all rotted core. set up a plastic "tent" & stick a dehumidifier in it for a few days just to make sure all the moisture is out. Find a marine paint supplier & buy a product called Divinicell. It is a composit material that comes in sheets of various thicknesses. Cut it to fit (several smaller pieces are ok if you cant get it all down in one piece). Get West System Epoxy & slop it in the hole, put the Divinicell in and slop more West on top, sides and anywhere there is a void. You can either put the fiberglass deck piece (that you cut out before) right on top or, as I prefer, wait till the West System gets hard, grind and fill any low spots and then apply the deck skin with West. I find the latter to be the best because you will get a better fit.

The other way without having to paint the deck must be tackled from the under side. Hopefully, it's all in the rope locker area. It's a fairly uncomfortable job but it's not as bad as you think. Do the same as above, your just doing it from below. You will have to use temporary bracing covered in plastic to hold everything up in place before it dries.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Dave