Click for Mag Bay Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck

need advice for yachting career.......

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by sharadmehta, Feb 26, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sharadmehta

sharadmehta New Member

hi
    i am a training merchant navy cadet doing bs nautical tech.
    i would like to have career advice on how to join this yachting and if any special courses are to be done for switching from merchant vessel to yachts...
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

There aren't really any "conversion courses" so to speak. You should be getting all your STCW certificates that are required for entry level yachting in your cadet program. With your cadet program done, it's just a matter of finding a job. I'm assuming you're Indian, so visas are an issue. Hopefully you have already, or at the completion of your course will have a Seamans Document or whatever it is called in India, and that makes the process much simpler. I have a couple of Indians on the boat I am running, and it's an issue getting them in some places where with a Seaman's Book, it would not be. I have one of them sitting at home right now awaiting his Superyacht Crew visa from Australia to come through. Most of the yacht industry operates in Europe, the Caribbean and the SE US and Bahamas. I would suggest you check with your various local embassies about visa requirements as the process can sometimes take months.
  3. sharadmehta

sharadmehta New Member

thanks.....ur advice is very helpful....
    i just wanted to know that what is superyacht visa that u mentioned ,i am an indian??
    is the job seasonal or we can get permanet one??
    if i have a second mate fg cdc what position will i join at a yacht??
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You will have certificates well above and beyond what is required to serve as a deck officer on any yacht.

For a determination of exactly what level your certification translates to in the yacht limited license structure and what role you can fill on the safe manning certificate you will have to apply for a license endorsement from the yacht's flag state.

Take a look at the website for the Cayman Island Shipping Register:
    http://www.cishipping.com/portal/page?_pageid=1307,1684609&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Cayman Islands is a popular flag for large yachts and its maritime regulations are representative of most Red Ensign flag states so is a good starting point to determine where your training level fits into the overall scheme. Most of the information you need should be found on the page linked above. Good luck.