Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta

Nav Question

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Islandtime, Jul 27, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Islandtime

Islandtime New Member

Just wondering if anyone has recently transited through Lake Okeechobee. I draw roughly 4' and need to get from FTL-Clearwater. Don't want to take any chances. Thoughts?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There has been a few threads on that topic recently. I dont have the link here on my phone but google Okeechobee waterway level and you ll get the corps of engineer site with exact level

It had bottomed out under 4' early this month, but has come back up a little. Still a little tight unless the rain of the last couple of weeks made a difference
  3. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also there are restricted openings on the eastern most lock (St. Lucie) and the western most lock (Labelle). I think they're only opening twice a day. I wouldn't take a boat with a 4' draft until the lake level reaches 6' anyways. You never know whats on the bottom.
  5. Islandtime

Islandtime New Member

All very helpful information guys; we're gonna travel South and take the safe route. Thanks for the helpful advice.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd recommend avoiding the Channel 5 route completely. It has gotten pretty shallow, and cutting through just south of Marathon (Vaca Key) at the 7 mile bridge. It's plenty deep and adds maybe 10 miles if that of going through channel 5. Have a safe journey.