Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Mystery Box

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by SplashFl, Aug 10, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Located on forward stateroom closet wall below opened panel; noticed during AC replacement. Anyone know what this box might be ? Pushing its spring loaded button didn't appear to do anything.

Imgp0033.jpg Imgp0050.jpg Imgp0049.jpg
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Motor starter reset for a magnetic motor starter contactor. Take a photo of the inside of the enclosure. That button will line up with the reset on the magnetic motor starter
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Do you have a Davit or other similar device in this general area? This would be the motor starter for something like that.
  4. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

No davit. All I know on this new to me boat, is up front supposed to be holding tank & macerator pump, and of course the windless (not messed with either although survey stated they work) but my exploration continues. I'll remove cover and take photo as captholli suggested.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Follow the wires. I'm SWAGing, Windlass contactor box.
  6. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Taped under the cover I found a schematic at the top of page printed 115 volts but the only breaker for windless is on the 24 volt panel. Also noticed it appears one of the items in the box is a transformer, marked 24 volts. Digital meter was reading 27 volts with the windless breaker on. No plate or ID found on the Ideal Windless. Plan is to see if hopefully it operates when the 220 shore power is off. Last boat had massive battery sized leads directly from one of the 8-D's so this still a mystery to me as despite what appears to be a huge windless motor, the feed wires to it are not, so maybe someone can explain ?
    A.jpg

C.jpg
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ideal Windlass? My last Ideal windlass was 115Vac (old Bertram).
    Had a Square-D contact box.

DCv remote or foot switches controlling the 115Vac windlass,, More SWAG.
    Time to start turning things off, one at a time and see if it stops working.

Start by un-pluging shore power with out gen-set or inverter running
  8. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Yeah it's an Ideal with foot switches. Not yet spent much time on the bridge to know if there's a remote up there. Painters just removed all the tape and plastic so the exploration will begin.
    If turns out 115 is needed it appears little thought, if any was given to when on the hook losing generator when time to move on. Maybe that's the reason for the lightweight aluminum anchor.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pisser is;
    I just scrapped my Ideal with 115Vac motor, A new Ideal 32Vdc motor that I thought of using (gen-set not required), Square D box and extra gypsy.