Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Mtu w4 service

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mike Hartley, Jan 22, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

I am just hitting 4000 hours on my 76 yacht (2000 year) with MTU 12v183 engines.

Ive Done both engines cooling systems, water pumps, trans coolers, but looking for engine guys who can do the rebuild heads, rebuild turbos, injection pumps, new imjectors, etc, etc...im in Stuart.

Ive seen Pascal used Torque...anyone else that can be recommended? Maybe closer to Stuart area? Ive heard RPM, seems everyone is in Miami, Lauderdale area...hoping someone closer to Stuart?
  2. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Are you going by the recommended hours in the maintenance schedule? If so I would have FDDA in Fort Pierce come over and do a Lama analysis to see if it is warranted.

I know on this is done on the 4000 series and it significantly changes the maintenance schedule profile depending on how the boat is used.
  3. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Thanks on recommendation...what is a Lama evaluation?
  4. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

That is where they hook up the computer and do an analysis of the hours-RPM-Fuel burned to establish your maintenance hour schedule.
  5. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Ah...ok...thanks. I am just looking at the mtu books for boat and have almost all previous maint records...see nothing ever on turbos rebuild, injector pump rebuilds...injector or any head work..so im guessing im in the w4 service might really need done..
    I will try them..
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

The turbos and injector pump amongst other items would have been serviced @ the 2,000 hr. or W-2 interval and should reflect the same in your records.
  7. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Thanks gents...im going to look back thru...see if I can find anything done on the 2k hour timeline...know heat exchanger was done...dont know on injectors, turbos...probably going to do them all for my own knowing its done