Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

MTU 8v183 losing coolant

Discussion in 'Engines' started by 64 Jefferson, Sep 3, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 64 Jefferson

64 Jefferson New Member

Hi.
    Looking for any help on this subject. After a 7hr cruise my port motor lost 1 1/2 gallons of coolant in the wall mounted coolant reservoir tank. A year ago I had a similar problem and it was the exmanifold. I replaced one manifold and the problem stoped.
    I removed the inspection plates on the exmanifolds and there is no signs of water intrusion. The oil looks clean with no signs of water. If I had a blown head gasket or a cracked head would I see signs of coolant in the oil or in the ex-manifold.
    Thanks for any help
    Bryan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2022
  2. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

Is there any evidence of antifreeze coolant in the bilge?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Leave the covers off and pump the system up to 7 or 8 PSI, no more than 8 PSI.
    Let it sit overnight and look at again in the morning.
  4. 64 Jefferson

64 Jefferson New Member

Two things.
    Last trip was 6hr run and everything was normal in the morning when we left, coolant level was good and oil looked fine.
    Pulled into port around 9pm that evening and did not go into the engine room that night.
    Next day went into the engine room to do checks and saw coolant in the bilge, about a gallon or so. Cleaned up the bilge and put down fresh pads.
    Topped off the coolant tank with just over a gallon of coolant and started the 7 hr leg of the trip with the cap of the reservoir tank half turned so pressure was not building in the system.
    Keep a very close eye on the coolant tank and the engine room for any signs of coolant in the bilge, the tank dropped would drop about 1 inch a hr. But no coolant in the bilge.
    We are at this dock until Monday than need to make the 8hr run home.
    Just trying to test what we can with limited equipment on board.
    Thanks for the help.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Do the simple stuff first. Fill your system to normal level, put the cap all the way back on, run the engine at the dock until it comes up to operating temp, get in the engine room with a flashlight and look at every hose and fitting you can see and look for leaks. Hope you find something easy.
  6. 64 Jefferson

64 Jefferson New Member

Update
    Found that the coolant lines that go from the turbo and intercooler to the wall mounted coolant tank where completely plugged.
    Unclogged lines and filled and filled the tank and now see good circulation in the tank.
    Could this have caused so much pressure that it could have blew coolant out of the coolant tank and into the plastic over flow tank with so much pressure that the coolant just went straight through the recovery tank and straight into the bilge
    3 hrs into the leg home and engine temps are normal and no coolant in the bilge.
    7222975D-3550-4FDA-A8C6-4CAC4ECB465C.jpeg
  7. 64 Jefferson

64 Jefferson New Member

Lines

Attached Files: