Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander

Moving to Fort Lauderdale to seek work..any advice?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by boatingetc, Aug 12, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

I'm 24 and have been boating since I was 10. Ever since then I've had a love to be on and around the water. I've spent time on boats, kayaks and jet ski's and want to make my professional career on the water. I'm looking to start out as a deckhand and I'm planning on moving to Fort Lauderdale before the end of this year, probably in early December. I live about two hours from Newport, RI but there doesn't seem to be enough of an opportunity up here. By the time December comes I will have a 100ton captains license, Merchant Mariners Credential, TWIC card, US Pass port, ENG1, FCC radio operators permit, STCW as well as my experience and love for being on and around the water. Just curious with your experience and knowledge with Fort Lauderdale. I visited there once a few months ago and intend on flying down to the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show too to see what I can find. At the moment I work full time in a warehouse but really want to start my professional career at sea working on yachts and such. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Put together a CV showing relevant experience and qualifications, send it to agencies stating what you are looking for.

You might well luck out round the FLIBS, one thing in your favour is the possession of a US Passport which means you can work on any flag vessel looking for someone.

Good Luck
  3. Xtina

Xtina New Member

I am currently located in Seattle, WA but plan to
    Also Planning a Move to Fort Lauderdale

Newbie here making my leap of faith and determination to pursue a career as a stewardess and join the yachting community. I have over 15yrs experience in the hospitality industry and hope those skills along with my STCW'95 and good references will help me along this journey to find a job.

I am currently in Seattle, WA and plan on making the move to Fort Lauderdale in order to increase my chances of finding work and meeting with agents and captains face to face. Any advice as to when would be a good time to make the move? Is October too soon?

I appreciate and advice, feedback and/or suggestions! For those of you also looking for work, good luck!

Christina
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hollywood has it's movie star dreamers, Florida has it's yacht junkies and dreamers. More NFGs think there coming down to walk into a Love-Boat job.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Why do you have an ENG1?
  6. Xtina

Xtina New Member

I am currently located in Seattle, WA but plan to
    I may be new to this industry but I most certainly do not believe I am waltzing into a fantasy world nor am I naive about the work and commitment that will be expected from me.
  7. Skyblue

Skyblue New Member

Will help any newbies to yachting

I am a yachting veteran of 20+ years, moved to Fort Lauderdale from Maui in '92 and enjoyed many years as a freelance Chef on a variety of boats, traveling all over the world and fulfilling many dreams. I am available to help anyone, in any way that I can, get started in the yachting industry. I am in Fort Lauderdale, and now work as a private Chef, doing mainly residential and estate work. I am very grateful to the people that got me started out, and want to return the favor. It's an incredible way to the see the world, make great money, meet amazing people from all around the globe, and have a truly unique experience out on the water. It's not all fun and games, all the time, but it sure is one heck of a way to enjoy the beauty and wonder of the world's oceans. Email me directly with any questions and I will reply with any help or advice I can offer.
    Fair winds and Aloha,
    Trish
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is very cool of you Trish. Thanks for the post. Sadly, I can't cook toast.
    ,rc
  9. Skyblue

Skyblue New Member

Well, if you're living and working on a yacht, you won't have to worry about making toast; you'll have a Chef on board to do it for you. (ps - that boxy looking thing with two slots in it, sitting on the kitchen counter? That's a toaster. Set it on 'medium' once the bread is inserted, and push the lever down. Presto! Perfect toast!)
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, That's what that shinny thing in the galley is,,, I have to lay my bread down on the exhaust manifolds.
    And Yes, You can eat out of any of my engine rooms. One day I'll have to come up, check out these things and,, and,,, deal with people....
    Think I'll stay below...
  11. Skyblue

Skyblue New Member

too funny! I should've been an engineer. I like the solitude. A few crew meals in the engine room might make the rest of the crew appreciate a little more what one deals with down there. (get some sunlight - Vitamin D is good for you!) ;)
  12. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

Well I was able to get my 50 ton license and I'm moving down to Fort Lauderdale October 8th in search of work. I'm ready to make the leap. I'm ready for the hard work in making it a great and long career. Hopefully I'll be able to stick out, not there just to be a "yachtie" but rather for a life long career with a heart at sea. Only thing I could complain about is it's difficult finding answers to many questions about the industry. Seems like a lot of people already in it don't have much to say about newbie's getting involved. Oh well...
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Just curious: You spent time on boats, kayaks and jet skis and now you are going to be a captain?
    720 days on boats over 5 tons?
    (Not sure the kayaks and jet skis counts)
  14. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

He's seeking employment as a deckhand; not a captain, yet.

Seems he's willing to learn to crawl and walk before he tries to run.

If he works a charter, his experience with kayaks and jet skis may prove to be an asset.

Yacht Toys.jpg
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can anyone explain all that brown stuff on the a%*(aft) of that big boat pic?
    Maybe some kayakers lunch? Yep, It has to be a hard job.
    It's not from my bilge toast.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

On the teak? Just water dripping from a vest or tank or toy...
  17. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

Looks like the deck is just wet.

And as far as earlier, a 50 ton license is not very much, especially within the yachting industry. I'm experienced with "yacht toys" and I know I will be a deckhand to start out. In a perfect world, I would love to get a job on a 65 to 95 foot yacht, one where I would be more likely to work not only as a deckhand, but also assist the captain, engineer and others. I want to learn every square inch of the boat, the in's and outs of everything. For now, spending $900 and two and a half weeks in a classroom, studying the basics, like navigation, safety and other information was well worth every penny.
  18. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

I got one because I researched it might be helpful. I'm only a 2 hour drive from Newport RI and it was worth the extra money. Same with the Merchant Mariner Credential. I might not need that either, but its an extra paper I can add to my collection.
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, that was a waste of money. If you have an MMC you had to get a USCG physical and that is all you needed.

Foreigners working on foreign flag boats usually have an MCA yacht certificate and play by the MCA rules even when they don't have to. The IMO says you need a medical and the boat's flag state says whose you can use. Only the UK itself has "issues" with the USCG medical. Talk to Flag, not some deckhand if you want to know what documentation you need.

Since either Marshall Islands or Caymans flag most yachts it would behoove you to learn a bit about their rules and regulations that determine which way your career goes ... if you get that far before going broke listening to other backpackers.
  20. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

Well at least I know now and wont renew it when it expires in 2 years. But I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to ask, I'm finding a lot of positions are looking for someone with a yacht master certification, or a powerboat level 2..is having a USCG 50 ton good enough? I'm still a bit confused when it comes to all that, but would rather not waste any more money if not needed. Easy to spend money, especially living out of a crew house with no job yet secured.