Click for MotorCheck Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Comfort Click for Delta

Motoring on one engine

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Uk4life, Jul 17, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Uk4life

Uk4life Member

I have a 32' Carver with twin gas engines with V drives. I need to take it up river to a mechanic to have one engine worked on and don't want to run the bad engine on the way to reduce any possible further damage. My question is do I need to do anything special when motoring on just one engine? Do I just leave the engine off and leave the transmission in neutral? That seems like the obvious thing to do but figured I would ask just in case.

Thanks for any input and advice.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It depends on the transmission. So can get damaged when the shaft is free wheeling... so like are ok for a short time. Depends on the transmission. Check the manual or ask your mechanic.

If you have never run the boat on one engine, be careful.

If the engine can run for short time, you may want to fire it up to maneuver.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You also want to make sure that the shaft seal has cooling water, since the shaft will be turning. Many boats have a crossover to allow the running engine to cool the running shaft. Or you could secure the shaft so it won't spin. The most reliable way is to tie the prop to the strut.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I've run on one engine many times, with one bad engine like yourself. No matter what anyone says including so called ''mechanics'' lock the shaft down to keep it and the trans from spinning, this can be done with a large vise grip , or two even better, to keep the shaft from turning . Or a large pipe wrench.
    The pipe wrench method , you need to have the shaft turning ever so slowly , forward , and lock it down, and keep moving forward to keep the pressure on the pipe wrench. Either method you need to have the tool up against the hull to stop it.
    Then you can run slowly! around 6/8 knots to your destination.
    Remember to REMOVE the tools , BEFORE you start the bad engine to help you dock.
  5. Uk4life

Uk4life Member

Thank you all for the feedback. I felt like i had read something before about not wanting the shaft to turn on the non running engine and I am glad I asked about it beforehand! I am pretty sure there is no crossover to cool the non running shaft so I will look at a way to lock the shaft. I will need the engine to get out of my marina but once on the river I will be going slow during the trip and planned to shut it down but may need to fire it back up to maneuver when I get to the destination....locking and unlocking the shaft may be the tricky part. The trip is only about 5 miles but I will be going against the current, which fortunately is very slow for the first time this year.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

You definitely do not have a cross over jawn , on your boat. Nor do I. You do your locking and unlocking out on the main river , as soon as you leave the marina where you have room to drift. Practice at the dock first with your tools you plan to use and keep the access hatch up during the trip. A little brief slow spin will not hurt the trans.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You call your tow provider yet?
    Or your insurance company?
    Could be free and safer to have her towed.
  8. Uk4life

Uk4life Member

The mechanic said it would not hurt the engine anymore to run it up the river to his yard, as long as I went slow......but I'd rather run it as little as possible so I will figure out how to lock the shaft when I go to the marina tomorrow.

Thanks to all